How do I net my baby fish?

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I found a home for my baby shubies, but I can't catch 'em! Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I just spent three hours in my waders with a net, and not one fish did I catch. The big ones are easy.. they practically swim into the net, "Oh! What's this? Are you putting something interesting into our home? Can we help?" The little ones are like, "If it moves, swim like lightening! Hide under a rock and don't move until she is clear of the pond!!"

HELP!

Joanie

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Someone I think addy, suggested to put the net in the water and then sprinkle floating food over the top and when they come to eat swoop the net up really fast. Course you will have to sort out the fish you want to take out cuz you know how the little pigs all swarm at feeding time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It works for the first swoop, then you have to wait until they forget again. We tried to catch one in the preform, but they are not used to being fed, no luck. Waiting for winter to slow them down, just need to move them out before freezing I won't have it protected from icing over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I didn't know that trick at night with the flashlight, Fishylove. Have you done it that way, and does it really work? I still have about 10 goldfish in my koi pond that I really want out of there before next spring, sooner the better. I caught a few of this year's babies last time I was in there, but now they are all keen to my actions, and stay away when I get a net into the pond. Also, if the holes on the net are really tiny, it's nearly impossible to beat the fish when you "swoop", as the water holds the net back. My nets are both larger holes, though, and still it's difficult to swoop faster than they can scoot! I'm also hoping to catch them when the weather gets cooler, but that means not being able to get into the pond, too, unless I don my wetsuit, which is a possibility, I guess.
I've also used a seine net, but it takes several helpers to get the job done. Seine nets can be found at sporting goods stores, I got mine at Wal-Mart. Walk it from one end to the other, have people hold sides at the other end, and then use hand held net to catch the ones you want to relocate. It worked pretty well, but some did get out the edges and so forth. Got the majority of them caught Memorial Day weekend when I had helpers. Not sure that will happen again, though.

Ask a Question