How do I promote spawning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Second season and no apparent spawning. It could be that I have all males or all female; that there were eggs that I missed and were eaten or; I need to change the water chemistry. No problems with the apparent health of the fish or plants, so I don't really monitor the chemistry. I have a mixture of eight goldfish...comet, shubunkin, then I added one tiny Koi and two OrfesMathis year. I would like to see some spawning. What do you suggest?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Curious, but what is an “OrfesMathis?” You may have immature fish, or same-sex fish. Or they may be spawning and eating the eggs - a fishy delicacy, I hear. Do you have plants in your pond, and how deep is it? There could be fry hiding up among plants. Oh, and having plants is a good way to encourage spawning. I’ve had my pond for 6 years, have all goldfish (comets, Shubies, and a Watonai or Wakin or 2). I have NEVER witnessed spawning behavior — and I’m sure that I have a good gender mix. I HAVE HAD babies, however! In fact, this season there are about 5 fry that I’ve spotted. At first, they weren’t coming close to the surface and I never would have spotted them if I hadn’t been in the right place at the right time. They were a little bigger than a pencil. Now they are growing, and every once in a while they will venture up to the surface and try to feed with the big guys (though they’re still more timid in general, and aren’t easy to spot.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is a picture. I think there is a far amount of plants. Depth is 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you seen what looks like your fish chasing one another? or they rub against a certain spot first one fish then another? do you have any spawning brushes in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They pretty much are chasing one another all the time. No spawning brushes, what is that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They pretty much are chasing one another all the time. No spawning brushes, what is that?
GOOGLE.. its a material fish love to use to spawn in that you can remove to a separate tank so they don't become caviar. Wish I had this problem I have been trapping fry for over a month at least 3 or 4 every day after a month i'm still catching baby koi

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
GOOGLE.. its a material fish love to use to spawn in that you can remove to a separate tank so they don't become caviar. Wish I had this problem I have been trapping fry for over a month at least 3 or 4 every day after a month i'm still catching baby koi
You can also use yarn to make a “spawning mop.” Also avail. on Google.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen people just use a string mop - anything the eggs will stick to. And boy do they stick! I had to rescue one of my girl fish who swam over the edge during some "private time" and got eggs all over my arms, legs and flip flogs. Weeks later I was still picking dried eggs off my shoes!

Ask a Question