How do I remove a broken light bulb?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My light bulb broke off at the base while I was trying to remove it. The glass didn't break, the whole bulb came off the metal screw part. I tried using pliers to remove the metal part but that didn't work. Now thinking about gluing the bulb back on and unscrewing it. Any other ideas? TIA.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've always heard about the potato method, too, but have never tried it.

What I've done is use a pair of pliers, but instead of grabbing the base with the pliers, I open them up inside the base where the plier pieces are pressing against the inside -- then apply some pressure and turn. Has worked every time.

Yeah, be sure the power is OFF!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Doctor Sir John, sir... Don't let all these people tell you that you HAVE to turn the power off! If you want to, just feel free to leave it on!
John
(Make sure you have someone nearby to catch the moment on film, or whatever. And POST IT!!!) :D

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
More suggestions please.

finger-in-socket-1.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have wrapped real sticky tape, sticky out, around my finger then stuck it to the metal and worked it loose. Electricity flowing of course.....................j/k turn it off turn it off

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have wrapped real sticky tape, sticky out, around my finger then stuck it to the metal and worked it loose. Electricity flowing of course.....................j/k turn it off turn it off
Excellent idea. I'm going to try double sided tape on the bulb. Stick it in and twist. Like HARO said, I'll try it with it turned on first to make sure it's working. Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Ask a Question