how do i tell koi from gold fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koi have barbels that are on each side of its mouth. Comets look similar to koi but have no barbels. How big is this fish?

Reaction score
Umm I think it's (guestamated) 6 inches a beauty really long tail fin for a comet, deep deep orangy red color, clear white fins. He has 2 side fins on each side too. just a gorgeous fish. I'll keep him no matter what but now that I see him a well bred fish next to her... she seems like she could be a mutt of some kind. Her back is slightly arched with a fat tummy (although now that she spawned she is thinner) short head compared to his and only one fin on each side of her (pectoral fins is that what the arm ones are called). I bought her at pets mart I bought him at a pond store. Even their scales feel and look different. She is white mostly and you can see each individual scale and feel them too (only felt them once when I released her into the pond) he is smooth and soft to the touch. You can't even see his scales really (but he is new so I havn't seen too much of him) and he DWARFS her. Why are they so different?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What makes you think it's a male? That's really hard to tell on a 6" fish.

Reaction score
the pond supply employee that takes care of me picked big red out for me. He has over 20 years of experience so I guess I took his word for it... =\ I don't think he would lie to me... he's a family friend as well. But I guess I really don't know now... either way big red is now the favorite in my pond.

Ask a Question