How do I treat my fish from black spots and greening?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
My fish are starting to develop this green pigment on their bodies and it's killing them. I have lost 8 in the past 1 week. They also have this black spots and am suspecting it might be the diplopstomiasis.
Females are the most affected and their healthy seems detoriated, why? The males are looking well and no signs of this black spots or the green on the skin. Some females have gone blind too.
How can i curb this problem to avoid more loses?
Any help will be much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_090400.jpg
    IMG_20221007_090400.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20221021_112604.jpg
    IMG_20221021_112604.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kind of fish are these? They seem to be very thin.

Can you give us more information on your pond please? Size, depth, type of pond, filtration and sizes and number of fish can also be helpful.

Since most problems stem from water quality issues, we like to see actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. Liquid tests are more accurate than strips.

Black spots can be healing ammonia burns. I'm not sure about the green coloring. The only green I have seen on fish is from algae caught in or growing in SAP fungus on fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are those talapia?

I found the article linked below that has a picture of green coloring on a fish. Maybe that will help.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Pond size
What kind of fish are these? They seem to be very thin.

Can you give us more information on your pond please? Size, depth, type of pond, filtration and sizes and number of fish can also be helpful.

Since most problems stem from water quality issues, we like to see actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. Liquid tests are more accurate than strips.

Black spots can be healing ammonia burns. I'm not sure about the green coloring. The only green I have seen on fish is from algae caught in or growing in SAP fungus on fish.
They are the Nile tilapia
Pond size22m×15m,earthen ponds (1.8m depth)bt the fish are usually confined in hapa nets measuring 3m×9m each holding 40fish, no filtration just depend on the natural balance.
For the black spots they don't look like ammonia burns, I was suspecting it might be the black spot disease

Attachments

• IMG_20221002_142549.jpg
    IMG_20221002_142549.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Very helpful, although it doesn't give much detail on treatment procedures and chemical use.Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there a forum for talapia growers? If so, that might be a better source for help than can be found here. Most of us have goldfish and/or koi.

Also, if any diseases in that link might apply to your issues, you can always Google that particular disease and get more information.

Best of luck to you and your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No filtration? The "natural balance" might mean nature takes the number of fish down to what is "natural". I don't know the full volume of your pond, but I would guess that nature would balance that pond with plants, varied species, etc. I've never seen a tilapia-only set up that didn't include massive filtration.

I agree with the suggestion that you find a more appropriate forum for your type of set up

Ask a Question