How do you choose the names you give your fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most of ours are named according to their colors, Smokey, Blueberry, etc. Then we have Trouble who never seems to be happy with the food in the pond and tries to climb up into the filters to get the algae in the weir or outflow pipe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Most of ours are named according to their colors, Smokey, Blueberry, etc. Then we have Trouble who never seems to be happy with the food in the pond and tries to climb up into the filters to get the algae in the weir or outflow pipe!
I have a trouble maker too, Boris. He likes to get into things, plants, filters. He inspects whatever I do and usually brings one or two others to help with the mischief.
He also led the trap door snail hunting party when I put some in the pond. Which thankfully was a failure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 started this thread: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/do-you-name-your-fish.23021/ DO YOU NAME YOUR FISH? Several people have replied and have included the names of said fish....which made me curious as to how you all choose the names you give your fish. @Panzer13 I didn’t want to hijack your thread, so consider this one a companion thread. Everyone, go to the above link before you post to this one!
My wife and I dressed up as Boris and Natasha for our first Halloween together. So I guess that is were the first fish names came from. The second batch I picked Scooby Doo that was a favorite of mine as a kid. Sort of a theme I guess.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Panzer13 I like Boris and Natasha! Funny story, though not fish-related. Hubby and I took a refresher ski lesson in March (Park City, UT). Had a really cool, interesting instructor— older guy from Bosnia! Wonderful instructor! But all I could think about was “He sounds just like BORIS BADENOV!”

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I look for something within the fish behavior or color/ patterns....something tied to the fish that's why people names just don't do for me

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As I mentioned before, I try not to name them — the ones I name either die or disappear — so to give them a fighting chance, I don’t name them..... None of the following is still with us.

“Spaz,” because she had an erratic swimming habit.
“Cinderella,” because he/she started out plain, but turned into a beauty.
“Larry,” I really don’t have a reason, but I just kept calling him names until something finally stuck.
“Hitler,” named by my son because it had a black mustache — but as the fish matured, it lost the black and ended up looking like all the other fish.
“Sumo,” because it was the biggest fish I had at the time.
“Hershey,” because it was a warm, chocolate color!
“Mystery,” was one of the first fish I added to the pond — was a “feeder” — and stayed dark for a long time. It was a “mystery” because you never knew where it was. This fish could still be in the pond for all I know, since it eventually changed colors so I have no way of knowing what it looks like now.

There are about 30 GF in the pond currently. No names. No more names!

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I saw a painting of a Banshee with long black gown shreaded on the edges and looked at the black butterfly koi and said "my little Banshee!"

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My dark greenish brown goldfish named Cammo matches the bottom of the pond perfectly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You guys picked cute names!
I've been staring at my fish hoping to come up with names, but nothing comes to me
smdunno.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Number 1, Number 2, Number 3.....

I don't name my goldfish since none of my fish look a like.

I don't name my dojo loaches, rainbow darters or black-stripped topminnow since I cant tell them apart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
They don't all have names, since they are so similar. The ones that were tiny feeder fish from Petsmart are especially generic looking. But the two sarassas (probably spelled wrong) are easily recognized. Pig is so named because she is the biggest and has always been the first and most aggressive eater in the bunch. Her "husband" (if he is even a boy) is named 'Mater because he is a very red orange - even his little fishy eyes. Pinky and Pearl are two good sized fish - mostly white. Pinky was once orange and now is kind of a gross beige white with pink undertones. Not the prettiest color - but that's OK. Pearl is more of a true white. There are two I call The Twins - white with orange spots on their heads. I think that's all of them!

Ask a Question