How Do You Euthanize A Koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi Everyone,

I have one koi that has developed a bloated stomach and today was getting tipsy while swimming. I've been treating for Costia with a FMG/Prazi combo and an antibiotic gel food. Everyone else seems to be ok. This fish is an offspring from a koi and shubunkin about 5 years ago, also is the third one from that bunch to develop this same issue. One ended up passing on it's own rather quickly, the other one I took to my vet for euthanasia. I would like to know if this could be genetic, as the other fish seem fine, and how to put her/him out of there suffering. I have 1oz of Clove oil. Any help?

Thank You

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bloated stomach is usually caused by a internal bacterial infection, You treated with a very strong parasite medication. Doubt the medication really did much good unless you are sure you had costia by doing a scrape and scope. I would try sticking to a medicated food, if the fish start losing balance the infection has moved into the swim bladder which is pretty much non-treatable by even the most advanced hobbyist. as for euthanizing, the clove oil will quickly sedate the fish, then place in a freezer and it will simply go to sleep with very minimal pain, Koi and goldfish are cold water fish so they simply sleep until they shut down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To euthanise a koi buy some MS222 online add a around 10-20ml to a container of water and place the koi into it .
Walk away for a while and when you come back your koi will be euthanized .
However if it has an internal infection it may well still be treatable by use of antibiotics .
Never give up on a fish until you have tried every possible way as to how to save it before you Euthanise

Buy the way I've done a thread about this subject dig it out check it out and you'll be able to learn from it :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/11003-anesthetics-and-the-various-stages-of/

I hope this helps answer all your questions ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't know how long it would take me to get MS222 in, also would I need a Rx? The fish is getting white patches, so I think the slime coat is coming off. Moves very slow and does lose balance. I tried to get it to eat the gel food yesterday, but it couldn't dive for it and just kept looking at the top for floating food. If I leave it in the pond and try to obtain the MS222, will it infect the other fish? Only other option would try and use the clove oil, but I have read that they wake rather quickly and this would put it awake while in the freezer, seems a bit cruel--but so does watching it suffer. Last time I paid my vet--that does not handle fish--to put one down. She didn't know how to do it, nor would she have the MS222 if she doesn't do fish. Would she?

Thank You
Dave 54 said:
To euthanise a koi buy some MS222 online add a around 10-20ml to a container of water and place the koi into it .
Walk away for a while and when you come back your koi will be euthanized .
However if it has an internal infection it may well still be treatable by use of antibiotics .
Never give up on a fish until you have tried every possible way as to how to save it before you Euthanise

Buy the way I've done a thread about this subject dig it out check it out and you'll be able to learn from it :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/11003-anesthetics-and-the-various-stages-of/

I hope this helps answer all your questions ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Clove oil and a 5 gallon bucket. One of my beloved pet koi needed to be put down after the paralysis from her broken back got too bad. She lived 3 good years with it. I probably put in 40 or 50 drops of clove oil in 4 gallons of water. She was a good 18" long. Mix the clove oil very well in to the water. Vigorously agitating it until you get it mixed in as much as possible. And then place them in and walk away. It always hard seeing a pet being put to sleep. Within a minute or 2 she had stopped breathing. I left her in there for a couple of hours and buried her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thank you, it will be hard, but so is watching the suffering. I'm just nervous about him waking up once out of the water. No chance if left in there for hours though? He is about 10".
RSFish1 said:
Clove oil and a 5 gallon bucket. One of my beloved pet koi needed to be put down after the paralysis from her broken back got too bad. She lived 3 good years with it. I probably put in 40 or 50 drops of clove oil in 4 gallons of water. She was a good 18" long. Mix the clove oil very well in to the water. Vigorously agitating it until you get it mixed in as much as possible. And then place them in and walk away. It always hard seeing a pet being put to sleep. Within a minute or 2 she had stopped breathing. I left her in there for a couple of hours and buried her.

Reaction score
No chance of waking up like that. They go to sleep and it is over. It is the only way I do it. And I would never do anything to hurt one of my koi just like one of my other pets I can pick up and hold in the house. They all hold the same place in my heart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I mixed about 60 drops in a jar with some pond water and shook until white. Went to fill a sm. bucket with pond water and net fish. Started down pouring and couldn't see in the pond with all the rain drops. Mixture is still in jar with lid on, how long is that good for? I'm hoping to get back out there later today if the storm breaks. If I grab a few gals of pond water and add the mixture, stir, will I be good to add the fish? Or do I have to redo a brand new mixture?

Thank You
RSFish1 said:
No chance of waking up like that. They go to sleep and it is over. It is the only way I do it. And I would never do anything to hurt one of my koi just like one of my other pets I can pick up and hold in the house. They all hold the same place in my heart.

Reaction score
I have never mixed and walked away to use later. But it is an oil and as far as I know it will just separate. I do not think it will break down very quickly. Personally I would add 20-30 more drops and re-shake it up. I think it will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well he's gone. I added that mixture to the bucket and then did another mixture of 40 drops, shook that and added that, stirred, and added fish. It didn't take long for him to stop moving. Left him in there for 90 mins. or so and placed him on a bag to look for movement. There was none, so buried him. Thank You for you help.

But my other fish are starting to flash again. Something isn't right.
RSFish1 said:
I have never mixed and walked away to use later. But it is an oil and as far as I know it will just separate. I do not think it will break down very quickly. Personally I would add 20-30 more drops and re-shake it up. I think it will be fine.

Ask a Question