How do you fight back the temptation to buy new koi

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Gemma, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I have 10 koi and 2 shubunkin in a 3000gl pond. I know I really shouldn't add any more, and I had no problem not to, until today, when I saw 2 fish on sale that I always wanted to have: a Benigoi and a beautiful Kikokuryu

Hubby doesn't help either: " You should get them, there's ton a room in the pond"...I need help!
    What do you do to keep from giving in to temptation?

Gemma, Jul 12, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

mrsclem mrsclem

Very good question! I downsized this year and am planning on rehoming the rest of 1 & 2 year olds this fall. But-----saw a pale blue ginrin at local nursery that I knew needed rescued. Now I need to figure out who else can go. Planning on no more than 12 koi total in 2 ponds

mrsclem, Jul 12, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

Gemma

I promised myself I would stop buying new ones, because I was tired of having to downsize...but today I'm struggling to keep that promise

Gemma, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Gemma

cas

One thing I do is tell myself that a new fish could introduce something into the pond and kill the existing fish - then I realize I would rather keep the ones I have.

cas, Jul 12, 2017
  5. Gemma

Tula

My 4 koi are calmer in the pond, now that there are just four. It's easier to look at them carefully and get to know them. I too, am terrified of introducing something into my pond and don't have a QT up and running.

Tula, Jul 12, 2017
    mgmine and peter hillman like this.
  6. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

You can look up the local support group.... KA - Koiaholics Anonymous

Hello. My name is Gemma, and I'm a Koiaholic.

MoonShadows, Jul 12, 2017
  7. Gemma

Gemma

@cas good one, thank you!

@Tula you and your straggle to keep large fish in small pond, have been my inspiration since I joined this Forum! Thank you!
    @MoonShadows "Hello. My name is Gemma, and I'm a Koiaholic.":LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thank you all so much, you really have helped me...well I haven't placed the order yet and my lunch brake is over so we did good! lol

Gemma, Jul 12, 2017
    cas, Tula and MoonShadows like this.
  8. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Keep fighting the good fight, @Gemma

MoonShadows, Jul 12, 2017
    Gemma and peter hillman like this.
  9. Gemma

Nyboy

Going to watch this thread ;) Because of my job I am in Pet store couple times a week. Have to look at the goldfish while there.

Nyboy, Jul 12, 2017
    Gemma, cas and bettasngoldfish like this.
  10. Gemma

Tula

You're sweet to say that @Gemma :) A contentment has come over me in the last year, I'm happy with what I have....thoughts of a bigger pond and more fish don't occupy my thoughts. I've met several pond keepers who said they used to have ponds and when I ask why they don't anymore, they tell me it just got to be too much.

Tula, Jul 12, 2017
    Gemma and MoonShadows like this.
  11. Gemma

Jimmy Gibson

Gemma I feel your pain..... Except in the opposite.... I am the one who doesn't want anymore fish..... I have six large Koi, two are approaching 30", both are males, and a female about 22".....and the others are about 18", needless to say they were fruitful and multiplied....about 40. Rehomed about 15.... Still have 25 or more left, most of these are 3" long and a couple are 4" long. All that being said, my lovely wife Sarah has grown attached to the babies..... Uggh mothering instinct..... And after I made a post about getting rid of the excess babies while she was gone on a trip, and it was easier to ask for forgiveness, she informed me that forgiveness might be a long time coming if I got rid of her babies..... So I too am in a quandary..... Even though I am 63 years old I still kinda like it when she is not mad at me..... Lol Jimmy

Jimmy Gibson, Jul 12, 2017
    CometKeith, Gemma, Tula and 3 others like this.
  12. Gemma

Lisak1

I find the best way to avoid the temptation to buy anything is to stay out of the store... or off the website as the case may be! The less I shop, the more content I feel with what I already have.

Now nurseries are a different story! Those require frequent visits and a BIG BUDGET! haha!

Lisak1, Jul 12, 2017
    herzausstahl, Nyboy, Gemma and 2 others like this.
  13. Gemma

Gemma

We enlarged our pond three time , and 3000gls is as large as it can get because it is located between 2 staircases...thank goodness for that!
    I hear you on the multiple ponds being a lot of work, but it is still tempting...why'd you have to bring that up? :rolleyes::LOL:

Gemma, Jul 13, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  14. Gemma

Gemma

Most of my koi must be males now, cause they seem to only chase the one and she's been hiding in the skimmer box a lot, I was thinking if I re-home her I might never have the problem of having to re-home babies

Gemma, Jul 13, 2017
    cas, Jimmy Gibson and Tula like this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma

I'd be in trouble if I worked where they sell koi!:LOL:
    I have that problem too!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gemma, Jul 13, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson and Tula like this.
  16. Gemma

Gemma

Keep being a member of my KA group!:ROFLMAO:

Gemma, Jul 13, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  17. Gemma

Tula

Well, I do have to admit, I'd love to have an ochiba.......some day - LOL !

Tula, Jul 13, 2017
    Gemma and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  18. Gemma

Usman

same problem with me but im picky , i haven't bought any koi since last 2 years thats called patience :p , what we can do is rehome the older koi which are very similar or not our favorite as they grow some develop not in a way we wanted so we can replace them and buy new ones of different variety . i have 2 very similar sanke butterfly i can giveaway one of them , ihve pair of similar yellow ones , i can giveaway one of them later on and so on .

Usman, Jul 13, 2017
    Tula and Gemma like this.
  19. Gemma

Magzire

Only live once. GO FOR IT!

Magzire, Jul 13, 2017
    Nyboy and Gemma like this.
  20. Gemma

Gemma

I'm picky too, but I believe you look for for the quality of the fish, where I just like colors and patterns!
    I know nothing about "desired qualities"and when I see videos on show champions I often think I wouldn't want any of them in my pond!
    Re-homing is not an easy thing for me, I get attached to my koi and right now I don't have a single one I could part from easily....not to mention I wouldn't know how to catch it!:LOL:
    Fortunally I might have to pass on the Benigoi, cause I read it would probably lose the red in my high ph level pond (like my Sanke did), and an orange Benigoi just wouldn't do.....I still want the Kikokuryu and a GionRin Platinum Ogon I would name "Angel"!:)

Gemma, Jul 13, 2017
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question