How do you fight back the temptation to buy new koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 10 koi and 2 shubunkin in a 3000gl pond. I know I really shouldn't add any more, and I had no problem not to, until today, when I saw 2 fish on sale that I always wanted to have: a Benigoi and a beautiful Kikokuryu

Hubby doesn't help either: " You should get them, there's ton a room in the pond"...I need help!
What do you do to keep from giving in to temptation?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very good question! I downsized this year and am planning on rehoming the rest of 1 & 2 year olds this fall. But-----saw a pale blue ginrin at local nursery that I knew needed rescued. Now I need to figure out who else can go. Planning on no more than 12 koi total in 2 ponds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I promised myself I would stop buying new ones, because I was tired of having to downsize...but today I'm struggling to keep that promise

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My 4 koi are calmer in the pond, now that there are just four. It's easier to look at them carefully and get to know them. I too, am terrified of introducing something into my pond and don't have a QT up and running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@cas good one, thank you!

@Tula you and your straggle to keep large fish in small pond, have been my inspiration since I joined this Forum! Thank you!
@MoonShadows "Hello. My name is Gemma, and I'm a Koiaholic.":LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thank you all so much, you really have helped me...well I haven't placed the order yet and my lunch brake is over so we did good! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@cas good one, thank you!

@Tula you and your straggle to keep large fish in small pond, have been my inspiration since I joined this Forum! Thank you!
@MoonShadows "Hello. My name is Gemma, and I'm a Koiaholic.":LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thank you all so much, you really have helped me...well I haven't placed the order yet and my lunch brake is over so we did good! lol

You're sweet to say that @Gemma :) A contentment has come over me in the last year, I'm happy with what I have....thoughts of a bigger pond and more fish don't occupy my thoughts. I've met several pond keepers who said they used to have ponds and when I ask why they don't anymore, they tell me it just got to be too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gemma I feel your pain..... Except in the opposite.... I am the one who doesn't want anymore fish..... I have six large Koi, two are approaching 30", both are males, and a female about 22".....and the others are about 18", needless to say they were fruitful and multiplied....about 40. Rehomed about 15.... Still have 25 or more left, most of these are 3" long and a couple are 4" long. All that being said, my lovely wife Sarah has grown attached to the babies..... Uggh mothering instinct..... And after I made a post about getting rid of the excess babies while she was gone on a trip, and it was easier to ask for forgiveness, she informed me that forgiveness might be a long time coming if I got rid of her babies..... So I too am in a quandary..... Even though I am 63 years old I still kinda like it when she is not mad at me..... Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I find the best way to avoid the temptation to buy anything is to stay out of the store... or off the website as the case may be! The less I shop, the more content I feel with what I already have.

Now nurseries are a different story! Those require frequent visits and a BIG BUDGET! haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're sweet to say that @Gemma :) A contentment has come over me in the last year, I'm happy with what I have....thoughts of a bigger pond and more fish don't occupy my thoughts. I've met several pond keepers who said they used to have ponds and when I ask why they don't anymore, they tell me it just got to be too much.
We enlarged our pond three time , and 3000gls is as large as it can get because it is located between 2 staircases...thank goodness for that!
I hear you on the multiple ponds being a lot of work, but it is still tempting...why'd you have to bring that up? :rolleyes::LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma I feel your pain..... Except in the opposite.... I am the one who doesn't want anymore fish..... I have six large Koi, two are approaching 30", both are males, and a female about 22".....and the others are about 18", needless to say they were fruitful and multiplied....about 40. Rehomed about 15.... Still have 25 or more left, most of these are 3" long and a couple are 4" long. All that being said, my lovely wife Sarah has grown attached to the babies..... Uggh mothering instinct..... And after I made a post about getting rid of the excess babies while she was gone on a trip, and it was easier to ask for forgiveness, she informed me that forgiveness might be a long time coming if I got rid of her babies..... So I too am in a quandary..... Even though I am 63 years old I still kinda like it when she is not mad at me..... Lol Jimmy

Most of my koi must be males now, cause they seem to only chase the one and she's been hiding in the skimmer box a lot, I was thinking if I re-home her I might never have the problem of having to re-home babies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Going to watch this thread ;) Because of my job I am in Pet store couple times a week. Have to look at the goldfish while there.
I'd be in trouble if I worked where they sell koi!:LOL:
I find the best way to avoid the temptation to buy anything is to stay out of the store... or off the website as the case may be! The less I shop, the more content I feel with what I already have.

Now nurseries are a different story! Those require frequent visits and a BIG BUDGET! haha!
I have that problem too!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question