How do you hide your filter?

Reaction score
Since I was going for a natural as possible looking pond, being able to hide the pond filter and all the 'hardware' was extremely important to me. I ended up building my waterfall around my pond filter - it is tucked away out of site behind the slight berm and the pile of rocks.

What do you do with yours?

Reaction score
I think that rocks are one of the only ways to go. But it's just as important that the placing of your pond be natural. A great big hole in the middle of a flat yard full of grass probably won't ever seem natural no matter how well you hide the pump.

Reaction score
That is true kelkat - and reminds me of a lady down the street who always admired my pond and then invited me over one day to see her new pond. Now, I know everyone has different tastes, but her pond - to me - was ridiculous. It was a perfect 3 foot round circle ringed with rocks (like a fire-pit) in the middle of her vast yard.
That is all fine and good if she were going for a more formal look, but she kept going on about how NATURAL it looked. It looked as natural as a bucket. :)

Reaction score
Actually, a bucket might have looked more natural. People often don't think of things like that for ponds. A nice barrel overflowing into a little "puddle" could make an interesting water feature. Hmmm something else to think about.

Reaction score
Heh! Well, maybe the poor lady has never seen a natural pond- maybe she's used to the disney version. I'm wondering what the look on your face was when she kept saying how natural it looked heheh :)

:icon_mrgreen:
Melos said:
That is true kelkat - and reminds me of a lady down the street who always admired my pond and then invited me over one day to see her new pond. Now, I know everyone has different tastes, but her pond - to me - was ridiculous. It was a perfect 3 foot round circle ringed with rocks (like a fire-pit) in the middle of her vast yard.
That is all fine and good if she were going for a more formal look, but she kept going on about how NATURAL it looked. It looked as natural as a bucket. :)

Reaction score
I bought this rock that is a cover for the filter. It was inexpensive and it looks real.

Reaction score
i've tried to pile rocks around mine as well, but the top of the filter is out in the open. I like it that way for easy access.

Reaction score
The idea is not to hide it as much as distract the eye from it. It's more about camoflouge than anything else.

Pull the eye to the other side of the pond with a striking plant or plant grouping.

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
Maybe the pile of rocks idea with moss grosing on them so that if some areas are showing, then it'll distract more easily from the fact that something is there. I'm not sure about our pond as we just put koi in it last year and before then it never had a filter. Yay, eau naturel.

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
Melos said:

Natural? Just add rocks and PRESTO! Oi. Was this lady older? Many older people from the suburbs when they get ponds and have never been out of the city have ponds like these. I've seen a couple of them before.

Ask a Question