How do you install a large pond liner?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
How do you install a very large and very heavy liner into an odd shaped dug area (hole) without the sides crumbling and falling down?
I have a 20x15 foot firestone, rubber "lifetime" liner and underlayment that weighs 100 pounds.
The soil is sand with rocks. Very loose and it wants to fall in every chance it gets.
How do I get the liner in without the walls of the hole crumbling?
Wet the soil?
Dust a few layers of cement?
It'll just be my brother and myself. Two guys with bad backs. Dragging it is not an option.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't believe that a liner can be installed without some level of 'dragging' at some point in the installation.
You need to find where the center fold is n the liner and place this bisecting the pond. This way you unfold from the center outwards which is the easiest method.
We have sandy soil here in the Fl. Panhandle with some clay mixed in. In installations where the soil was exceptionally dry and low structural integrity (prone to collapse). We lightly misted the soil, installed the underlayment, wet the underlayment and soil once more then began pulling liner.
I would seriously recommend getting some assistance. This is no job for anyone with a bad back unless they crave being around doctors and hospitals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
2 pieces of equipment I can recommend that helps with personal safety are gloves with rubber palms and a back brace from Home Depot.
The gloves take strain off your arms and upper back because you aren't gripping so hard and the back brace gives your back much needed support.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gorilla-grip---x-large.1000708561.html
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Medium-Back-Support-in-Black-HD668607/202311445

I started with my liner on one edge and pulled it into the hole with the underlayment in place. Wetting down the surface soil sounds like a good idea for loose soil.
My liner was 50 x 50. It took me about 3 hours by myself.
Don't do it on a hot day, lol.

DSCN8491.JPG

DSCN8502.JPG

DSCN8545.JPG

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I don't believe that a liner can be installed without some level of 'dragging' at some point in the installation.
You need to find where the center fold is n the liner and place this bisecting the pond. This way you unfold from the center outwards which is the easiest method.
We have sandy soil here in the Fl. Panhandle with some clay mixed in. In installations where the soil was exceptionally dry and low structural integrity (prone to collapse). We lightly misted the soil, installed the underlayment, wet the underlayment and soil once more then began pulling liner.
I would seriously recommend getting some assistance. This is no job for anyone with a bad back unless they crave being around doctors and hospitals.
I will wet the soil.
Also the liner once installed.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
DAUNTING!!!
A 20x15 sure looks huge unfolded.
My brother and I opened it up in the yard and then rolled it up like a scroll...Carried it into the pond with the underlayment already in and then simply unrolled it.
Maybe I should have left the word "simply" out.
It's now about 75 % full and already 950 gallons according to my water meter

Attachments

• 20170813_105248.jpg
    20170813_105248.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 209

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
At 75 % full, I can now backfill the edges where I need to and then fill it all the way up and trim the liner and start the edge stone work.
However. Non of that will happen today.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
There is some liner visible on the edges after I cemented the stones in place.
I'm hoping this will be OK since it IS the "lifetime, permanent" Firestone liner and underlayment.
It also won't get much full sun.

Ask a Question