How do you install a UV light?

FXM

Reaction score
I have a " Aquascape Bio-Falls" system in my pond. If I do need a UV light...first what is a good one and how do I install it. Looks like some are installed outside of the pond??

F.X.

Reaction score
almost all are insltalled outside of the pond, there are many out there, you can either place it in the same line as your filter or run a seperate pump for the UV, i am currently running a seperate line, but hope to incorperate it into my filter line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only one I know of that submersible is the pond master UV.
IMHO the best is Aqua UV, Emperor and Matala.
Of course you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
There are many differnt UV lights out there, but when you break it down its a tube with a UV light in it, now i know i will get blasted here for this, but looks as though most "Good" ones cost 300 plus, i got a 36w for 40 bucks, its "made" for aquariums but does the same thing as ones "made" for koi ponds. its been running for less then a week, not really any time to tell how it will hold up, but it has made my pea soup green water into clear cloudy water in 5 days. Mainly because i dont have enough flow into it, but for me it seems to be doing the job at less then 10% the cost.

FXM

Reaction score
I don't understand how these UV lights are installed outside of the pond? Are they in the water? How are they connected? What are they connected to?

F.X.

Reaction score
This picture should give you a general idea on how they work. They also have bio/mechanical filters with the uv built in.

Attachments

• CLuv.jpg
    CLuv.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 930
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aquarium UV's are not recommended for ponds of course if your pond was under 400 gallons it would work.
The Aquarium UV's bulbs have a small surface area so you would really have to slow the water down to kill anything and besides that your pond would have a poor turnover rate.

Reaction score
i say aquarium loosly, as its made for aquarium/pond applications, the one i bought a 36w the tube is approx two feel long and the bulb is about 10-12 inch long. it recomends a flow rate of 800gal to 1000gal.

They are connected to a pump that feeds water through them, that can be a pump by itself or run it inline with your filter pump.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
bsr8129 said:
i say aquarium loosly, as its made for aquarium/pond applications, the one i bought a 36w the tube is approx two feel long and the bulb is about 10-12 inch long. it recomends a flow rate of 800gal to 1000gal.

They are connected to a pump that feeds water through them, that can be a pump by itself or run it inline with your filter pump.

How much water are you running through it ?

Reaction score
With a bypass, you can optimize the UV flow rate without hindering whatever else is on that circuit. I'd wager that most ponds need a UV bypass to get everything working at its best.

Ask a Question