How do YOU make gel fish food?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found a recipe, but as I searched, I realized that they were mostly similar -- the differences being in the ingredients.

I was looking for something to use as a "fry" food to alternate with BBS for the little guys, and then as an intermediate food for the larger fry.

I liked the idea that you could choose your own ingredients, avoiding all the fillers and unnecessary ingredients. I read somewhere that adult goldfish require less protein and more carbs than babies, so again, you can design your food to suit the needs of your fish.

And I liked the idea that, because it's a gel, when you add it to the tank it sinks to the bottom where it is 1) easy to monitor how much they've eaten, 2) it doesn't foul the water, and 3) it's easy to siphon out the uneaten food.

I shopped yesterday and ended up going with several flavors of jarred baby food and some canned fish. It was almost impossible to find canned fish that was salt-free, but I'm not a cook, nor am I an organic shopper, so already-prepared foods and canned foods is about as far as I will go. I poured the pureed mixture into zip-lock bags and laid them out flat in the fridge [not enough "flat" room in the freezer] until they were solid enough to stack in the freezer.

Oh, and the recipe I used called for "alfalfa tea." Huh? Well, I happened to have some alfalfa cubes [they're sold for Guinea pigs, etc.] that I use in my turtle food. Hmmmm..... So, I put a cube in water and microwaved it for a few minutes -- and got a nice "tea!"

It was an experiment, and not all that difficult to make. The cats got some treats out of it [I gave them some of the un-used fish], LOL! The hardest part was finding the "flat" room in the freezer. I tried some this morning [on the fish -- I didn't try it personally]. The tiny babies haven't discovered it yet; the intermediate babies are going for it; the pond fish went after it with glee!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's interesting. I found one person using boiled egg yolk warp in thin cloth and the babies eat from that.

Ask a Question