How do you tell difference

Reaction score
In my pond I have probably about a dozen or 2 that I can tell of little black sperm looking things swimming.

How do you tell if they are baby fish or baby tadpoles? They are all less than a quarter inch in length and about a 1/8th wide. They are kind of round in the head with long tails.

These little guys have been swimming around for the last week or 2. I'm thinking baby tadpoles, but wasn't sure if someone here could point me in the right direction to guess. Thanks

Brian

Reaction score
Those sperms are tadpoles! LOL!

Tads are black, have that big ovaly round heads and stick to the bottom. Little fishies are itty-bitty and you can barely see 'em. Sorta grey-ish translucent and usually hang up top.

You've got tads. And they are fun to watch grow up.

Reaction score
Koikeepr,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping they were baby fish, I already have several frogs, but the more the merrier. Thanks

Brian

Reaction score
Update: Since I last posted this question these little guys have grown up quite a bit. I no longer have to wonder if they are fish or tadpoles. Rather I now have a good problem on my hands. I have about 2 - 3 dozen baby fish swimming around. I lucked out and they are not tad poles.

Now I just hope they will make it through the winter.

Reaction score
Heres a rough picture of some of the fish. Having a hard time taking a photo.

IMAG0160.jpg

Ask a Question