How do you tell the difference between girl and boy comets?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a bunch and a lot of fry from last year. I know one is a female just because she gets chased a lot. But can you tell just by looking at them which are girls and which are boys?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
LOL I tried to just watch them and see which ones like to gossip and shop and which ones like to drink beer and work on cars with their buddies but no luck so far. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh gosh they are hip fish .Have you googled it maybe that will help I know e-how tells you a lot about how to tell the difference in male and female in fish .I even saw on there sight how to tell the difference in a male and female turtle in several varieties

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it says the males vent openings are more concave and the females more convex ,but also says the same as koi the female is plumper in the middle and the male is longer and more slender and the male has a long fan tail fin on it's underbelly at the back no matter what it is still hard to tell

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
reminds you of some men LMAO hmmmm know men are going to comment .OK peanut gallery open LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can tell on mine as of today, because they are going at it hard today. There are five fish just man handling (pun intended) my biggest fish (7 inch goldy).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just watch you don't get any jumping out of the pond in there frenzy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
just watch you don't get any jumping out of the pond in there frenzy

I hadn't thought of that. I'm at work so not heading home for a good 5 more hours. I was surprised to see all the breaching of the surface along the wall of the pond. TO get out they'd have to go 6 in out of the water. Other than the large female, most are less than 4 inches in length (all gold fish).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't either and last spring had one jump out and die before i found him .Now i have the screening nets over my pond

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a bunch and a lot of fry from last year. I know one is a female just because she gets chased a lot. But can you tell just by looking at them which are girls and which are boys?
Shake 'em and see if they rattle! Sorry, that's what I was told many, many years ago by an old aquarist. :wink:
John

Ask a Question