How does everyone feel about filling out their signature line?

Reaction score
On most forums I visit, people fill out their signature line with details relevant to the forum they are on. On the diesel forum, people write what kind of truck they have, what engine, what trasmission, and what performance upgrades. On the snowplow forum, people list their truck and plow and other snow removal tools. On the lawn care site, people list their mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers etc. This gives readers a quick glance on what the original poster is using and can help them get basic facts without having to ask, which can be very helpful when trying to give advice. On this forum, listing things like gallons of pond, pump gph, filtration, amount of fish, etc seems like a helpful thing... I briefly filled mine out below. What does everyone think about this?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounded good to me so I went ahead and just did it. Might change it a bit if I feel the need. Am I missing anything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats fine by us but in the UK too much info can lead to a visit from your local neighbourhood koi thief , they already use Google Earth to spy out prospective ponds koi and equipment
Filled ours out when we first came to Garden pond Forum and update it as we go along

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No koi or expensive equipment, except my pump, so we are sort of safe! It would po me to lose my tractor. That is why we have house sitters when we leave for any length of time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w so the only filter you are using is the Matala EZ Bio prefilter we talked about in Colleens thread? What about your water fall?

Yep that's it and the tube hooked to the pre-filter which is hooked to the pump then discharges out of the falls. No filter in the falls, just a big basin w/ nothing in it. I tried putting media in there but it just gunked up and floated to the surface and didn't swirl enough so took all the media out and just water swirling freely in there now. I like the ease of just the pre-filter needing to be cleaned about once per month in the Spring/Summer months. A bit of netting out the bottom now and then and all good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep that's it and the tube hooked to the pre-filter which is hooked to the pump then discharges out of the falls. No filter in the falls, just a big basin w/ nothing in it. I tried putting media in there but it just gunked up and floated to the surface and didn't swirl enough so took all the media out and just water swirling freely in there now. I like the ease of just the pre-filter needing to be cleaned about once per month in the Spring/Summer months. A bit of netting out the bottom now and then and all good.

thanks j.w, I would so love to not have the ugly DIY box sitting next to my pond (even though it has worked very well for me) I wonder if one of those prefilters would be enough for my pond? I was originally thinking about adding one to my pond as additional filtration but never thought about using it alone.

Actually I have had my eye on a decorative pond filter
77006.jpg
maybe I could do this which would look a lot nicer than my tote filter and add the prefilter. Hmmm, Choices, choice, choices......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are allowed to try anything you would like to @bettasngoldfish .

@callingcolleen1 has more than one of the pre-filter deals doubled together in her ponds and that's all she uses too other than the plants we have also that help suck up nutrients.

Ask a Question