How Efficient are Pond Pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am constantly amazed at our electricity usage. The local supplier (bandits) send out "Your Home Compared to Average" flyers and we are always double what they say an average home is. Yes, we are retired and are in and around the home most days, but we certainly don't waste energy. Turn out lights, usually don't run AC, etc. So the only thing I come up with is that it's the pond pump running 24/7 that does it. Could this be so? It's a Savio pump and about a 1,000 gallon pond and about a 30 foot stream down a mountainside. Recent picture attached.

Could a pump that size really use that much electricity?

Falls and Backyard June 9 2016.jpg
Falls and Backyard June 9 2016.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You would amazed at how all the electrical appliances we use to make our lives more convenient add up to big energy usage.
Take a piece of paper and list out all your electrical devices and their wattage or amperage ratings.
It adds up!
There's also a device called a kill-a-watt meter that you can use to measure how much energy a certain device is using.
Home Depot carries them http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Most of my pond pumps have been relatively low power consumers. (75w) 1050gph.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Buy a "kilawatt" meter and find out for yourself. I got one last year because I was curious. My 3800 gph matala is costing me 34.80 dollars a month to run. My down stairs window ac unit costs me 92.59 and my well lit planted tank costs me 7.20 a month. My electric bill during the summer months is well over 250.00 a month,that's with 3 ac units,freezer,fridge,three 60 gallon fish tanks,ceiling fans,floor fans,electric washer and dryer, dishwasher and other assorted items along with the pond. Yiu shoukd see my electric bill analysis compared to my neighbors! I see it as a performance report and I am most definitely WINNING.
This year for earth day I'm having a tire fire bonfire lit with aerosol spray cans and boosted with tropical rainforest hardwoods where we all park around it in our idling diesel humvees with the windows down drinking malt liquor from styrofoam disposable cups while eating Chilean sea bass off of disposable dishes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the kilawatt meter and we are retired no 30 foot stream but 2 laguna pumps in my pond .My electric bill is around 125 dollars a month and that is with taxes and utility use fee of 10.50 a month .House is 2440 sq. ft .I bought all new energy efficient appliances and house has all LED bulbs even the ones in fridge and range are LED and even freezer light is led .Appliances are the number one energy hog .I even bought a double oven range with 2 small ovens and the crock pot gets used a lot . Plus the security cameras and 3 puters going Older tv's are real hogs .My 2 pond pumps total 2900 gph and 2400 gph use around 120 watts .I just turned on my ac this week .Do you know if your utility company offers the sign up program where they monitor every thing in your home .I had to go on and list every appliance and model every light and every tv and radio and what ever else in my house and all I have to do is go on to see what is using what .A dryer is a big energy hog so I hang my clothes out side ,besides the fresh smell it is saving money .I know on some small lots in town they use a lot of battery operated tools like mowers ,trimmers,blowers and edgers and that can run bills up .I use my power tools and it still does not run mine up that much

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I forgot to mention my house is less the 900 Sq ft.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW smaug what are you using that much energy on .I even have led lights down both sides of my 300 foot long driveway and the air on in the quest house and 2 window lights on all night in it .Plus 3 larger LED lights in my back yard and 2 on my pond all night .I use my dishwasher after 11 pm when the rates go down .I have a heat pump no window ac.s .Then you add in my 1 hp well pump and my electric water heater and the water filter

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stated what I use in my thread. I enjoy a life comfortably lived and that doesn't include sweating in my own home or hanging clothes out to dry in the pollen caked air! Our ACs have been on for a month now. I have 2 Teen daughters and a wifew and the clothes washer and dry get run close to a dozen full loads a week,dishwasher runs every night along with 4 people taking showers daily . I'm proud of my TRex sized carbon footprint.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I stated what I use in my thread. I enjoy a life comfortably lived and that doesn't include sweating in my own home or hanging clothes out to dry in the pollen caked air! Our ACs have been on for a month now. I have 2 Teen daughters and a wifew and the clothes washer and dry get run close to a dozen full loads a week,dishwasher runs every night along with 4 people taking showers daily . I'm proud of my TRex sized carbon footprint.

I wouldnt be smaug weve gone out of our way to change with the times with Led lights more modern day airpumps washing machines driers TV's etc etc.
Who knows perhaps if we in the west started acting responsibly with our energy needs then and only then will the rest of the world follow suite you owe it to future generations of your own family as well as others to do so

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
From my very first house I was into energy savings and that was over 40 years ago .I insulated everything .There are only 3 people in my house .My house is not hot it is just well insulated .There is insulation in the attic and the floors also and even the basement floor and walls are insulated .2x6 walls and double and triple pane windows .I feel if you spend it up front you save .I love the smell of the clothes when I bring them in .But on that note I do live in the country with fresh air .Every house I have bought were first checked for there air leakage .I always had the blower door test done when they started it .I have gotten hold of Danville utilities to see if they offer the same thing that was offered to addy and hoping they do .We have nothing out here but electric and if you want a propane tank which I worry about with hunters around here .I am also considering insulated vinyl siding to make it even better .I do have a heat exchanger on my heat pump to help with fresh air .But when I can open my windows I do .I also have ceiling fans to help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
From my very first house I was into energy savings and that was over 40 years ago .I insulated everything .There are only 3 people in my house .My house is not hot it is just well insulated .There is insulation in the attic and the floors also and even the basement floor and walls are insulated .2x6 walls and double and triple pane windows .I feel if you spend it up front you save .I love the smell of the clothes when I bring them in .But on that note I do live in the country with fresh air .Every house I have bought were first checked for there air leakage .I always had the blower door test done when they started it .I have gotten hold of Danville utilities to see if they offer the same thing that was offered to addy and hoping they do .We have nothing out here but electric and if you want a propane tank which I worry about with hunters around here .I am also considering insulated vinyl siding to make it even better .I do have a heat exchanger on my heat pump to help with fresh air .But when I can open my windows I do .I also have ceiling fans to help
The cavities of our flat are very well insulated sissy we have modern day double glazed windows in every windoow the same can be said for doors etc
We have a brand new gas boilers and gas central heating the bioler is one of the best and is German .
Whilst out shopping with Val a few weeks ago we came across a four teird LED fan which is our next progect and product too buy

Dave

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
As long as I can easily afford my utility bills then I'm living within my means. So far so good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The doors I got were insulated also .I just wish they had some of this stuff they have now back when I bought my first house .I would have saved even more money for my retirement .I was at least lucky to retire before I was 50 .mrtrumpet have you looked into info on your pump and what brand it is .Because of your waterfall being so tall and so long you would need a pretty pwerful pump and you never really said is it external or in the pond .You say it is savio so it should be easy to look up and has it been maintained .I don't know much about that brand and never owned one but if you are not using that much in the house that has to be it .You did not say how much your electric bills are either .By the way I do love your waterfall it must be nice and relaxing to watch and hear .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
As long as I can easily afford my utility bills then I'm living within my means. So far so good.
If you really want to be comfortable..... Insulation is the answer. My father spent thousands on it, their house has about a 4 degree temp fluctuation from morning to night. They rarely run the A/C. Yea, I wish my home was as air tight.

Ask a Question