how far can a liner streatch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a epdm 45 mil liner. I'm placing gray cinder blocks on the ground of the pond then covering them with carpet as to have a shelf for the plants. I'm afraid of stretching out the liner so much that it will tear or puncher over time. How far is it safe to stretch out that liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It sounds like you are putting them on the ground first then putting the liner in? If so I would put the liner in first then put the blocks on top of the liner. If you want them black then cover them with the extra liner. Then you have the option of moving them later if you ever need too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the liner is thick and hard to really stretch it much, it will conform to the hole or foundation if it above ground. When you start filling in the pond with water, it will start to take shape, but you really don't want it to stretch. You put some blocks to hold some areas in place on top. My favorite part of building in my pond last year was getting in while it was filling for the first time by getting in an smoothing out the creases.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, first of all.....how much liner do you have and how much did you calculate for? You don’t want the liner to stretch — it needs to sit and settle where it will conform to the shape of the pond once it’s filled with water. I’m concerned that you are talking about a situation where you don’t have enough liner to begin with. Can you give us more information about your pond? What are the dimensions including depth? How much liner do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Im now going to just set the blocks inside after filling it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Im now going to just set the blocks inside after filling it up.

Maybe put something between the liner and the block so as not to damage the liner. Extra liner material, felt, tarp, carpet or carpet padding. Maybe you could wrap the block (or at least the bottom half) before you put it in.

Reaction score
You don't need cinder blocks for the shelf, just dig a shelf and lay the liner on top of it. Be sure to bring the liner over the top edge of the pond by as much as you can and cover it with dirt.

Ask a Question