How fast do Koi grow

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by tdwhite03, Aug 23, 2009.

1. tdwhite03

tdwhite03

What kind of growth could I expect to see out of the smaller Koi sold at places like Petsmart?

I have heard an inch per year, but it was not from any type of reliable source.

thanks,

Terry

tdwhite03, Aug 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. tdwhite03

FredrikAnderson Koi Herder

I heard something like "you will see them double in size each of the first 2 years and then 1 inch each year after that" but I am not sure how true that is however the person who said that had at least 4 koi over 2 feet long and has hundred of koi so it may be correct. Obviously there are lots of veriable that will play into this.

FredrikAnderson, Aug 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. tdwhite03

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

1/2" give or take..a month is about what ive seen.

koiguy1969, Aug 23, 2009
  4. tdwhite03

tdwhite03

Thanks!

tdwhite03, Aug 23, 2009
  5. tdwhite03

DrDave Innovator Moderator

In an ideal pond environement, my 1year olds are 6-8" and my 2 year olds are 12-14". Some grow faster than others.
    They grow slower in a tank indoors.

DrDave, Aug 23, 2009
  6. tdwhite03

koikeepr

a general rule of thumb is that at 24 months, they will be half of their adult size. So, at two years old, if you've got a 10 inch koi--it will likely be around 20" when full grown. (of course, this is all bearing on a nice roomy pond--otherwise, it can stunt the fish and it will be smaller.)

koikeepr, Aug 24, 2009
  7. tdwhite03

poodles-ponds and gardens

I read recently, perhaps on this forum, that regular water changes affect the growth rate also. I guess the fish put out a growth regulating substance from their gills and the water changes keep that level down in the pond so they grow bigger.

poodles-ponds and gardens, Aug 24, 2009
  8. tdwhite03

DrDave Innovator Moderator

I see Ian fixed your name. I tried, but that takes an Administrator.

Thanks Ian.

DrDave, Aug 25, 2009
  9. tdwhite03

koikeepr

yes, folks do swear by water changes and that it does affect the growth of the fish.

koikeepr, Aug 25, 2009
  10. tdwhite03

KC Crook

Please dont blame me, but I have a 30 gal pond that was attacked by raccoons recently and they got my 3 goldfish and all my trapdoor snails. My neighbor, in all her sweetness heard about it and got me 2 Koi to replace my lost fish. Now I know better than koi in this small pond but she did not. I love these two fish. They have wonderful mottled colors and I sure would like to enjoy them for awhile. They are about 4 inches long. I know, one, the pond is too small, and two, I should not have two new Koi in an outdoor pond in fall. But its done. Ive ordered fall food, a thermometer and netting to protect from fall foliage. Now, Im wondering how long I will get to keep them before I have to rehome them. (If they survive at all.)

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
  11. tdwhite03

Mmathis TurtleMommy

They probably need a bigger home now, assuming you meant to say 30 gallons. The season isn't what I'd be concerned with as much as with filtration/water quality issues. That was sweet of your neighbor, though.

Mmathis, Oct 9, 2016
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  12. tdwhite03

KC Crook

thanks, I was afraid someone would say that. They seem content for now. I may just overwinter them and see who can take them in spring. I know of a couple of koi ponds. I sure hate to lose them and it makes me more determined then ever to get a koi pond of my own someday! Heres one I could get a clear pic of.
    image.jpg

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
  13. tdwhite03

Mmathis TurtleMommy

How cold do your winters get? Is there any way you can move them indoors (basement or garage) for the winter, and maybe provide them with a larger living space? I would be concerned that they may not survive long. I have a single GF (about 5-6" long") in a 20 gal aquarium, and that is pushing it big-time. Lots of filtration and lots of water changes -- plus, just not a lot of room to move around.

Mmathis, Oct 9, 2016
  14. tdwhite03

KC Crook

Our winters are relatively mild most years. The pond may crust a bit (which I will break) but the ice wont get thick. We dont get heavy snow where I live. I have a filteration unit much larger then the pond needs and I have to clean it every couple days due to the fountain that clogs up easily. Im good about the maintenance because the pond is right next to my front door. The pond sits in the corner of my house so its protected from the worst of winter winds. I dont have a way of bringing them indoors. image.jpg

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
    Nyboy likes this.
  15. tdwhite03

sissy sissy

also depends on the food you give them .I have never given my koi growth food and they are around 2 feet long after 12 years and were only an inch or 2 long from the koi farm

sissy, Oct 9, 2016
    Usman likes this.
  16. tdwhite03

KC Crook

Hi Sissy! Well, for the moment, I am feeding them just gold fish flake left over from my other fish, but I have on order fall/spring food with the higher wheat content to get them ready thru winter. I also have a thermometer on order. Once the water drops below 50 degrees, I will switch to the fall food. Id like to fatten them up in the little time I have left before winter.

Hmm, in reading that...I realize Im a bit confused about WHEN I should switch their food. I read not to feed them at all once the water is under 50 degrees consistently. Ok! Went looking more and found the answers. Below 50 F feed wheat food until 40F then stop feeding until spring when temps are 50F for at least two weeks. Is that right?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
  17. tdwhite03

KC Crook

I feel kinda like someone who was given a puppy when they have never owned a dog, lol.

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
  18. tdwhite03

KC Crook

If I can slow their growth without effecting their health, that would be great. They can swim thru this pond easily enough at this size. Right now they are shy and kinda sleepy. They dont surface much and prefer to eat the flake that sinks right now. Still just shy and they are nervous of my presence and shoot around the pond. They seem very healthy for all I (dont) know about Koi, lol

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
  19. tdwhite03

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@addy1 Would it be possible to move this more recent part of the thread -- starting with post #10 -- to a place of its own? It's tagged onto a thread from 2009, and people might miss it when they start reading and see the date (I almost did). IF that's even something that can be done. Thanks!

@KC Crook It's OK that you posted there, but sometimes it's better to start a new thread, esp if the original is pretty old. I just don't want your posts to get passed over.

Mmathis, Oct 9, 2016
  20. tdwhite03

KC Crook

thx, I disnt want to start a new thread on an already discussed topic....I didnt pay attention to the date...sorry.

KC Crook, Oct 9, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question