how fast is chlorine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was just doing a water change. I dumped about 65 gallons of chlorinated (probably chloramine) water into a pond that had approximately 800 gallons of de-chlorinated water. I realized immediately what I had done. About 2 minutes later, I put a double dose of de-chlor into the stream of the waterfall.
The fish appear to be fine (and very happy about all the muck I just stirred up for them). About 15 minutes later, I dumped in another 65 gallons of properly dechlorinated water. What kind of damage did I likely do to my fish?

If it matters, the test readings immediately before the water change were:
pH 8.0
ammonia .25
nitrite .5
phosphate 10

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think the fish should be fine.
I don't like seeing any reading of nitrite though. I would increase aeration and water movement as much as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Mitch. My water is actually just finishing cycling. The nitrite plummeted just since yesterday. So I'm hoping to see ammonia and nitrite zero out very soon. Although, I'm fighting the wrong direction with ammonia by changing out water at all. My tap water has an ammonia reading of 1.0 and a phosphate reading of 2.0. Pisses me off, but it's the hand I'm dealt. I put a couple bags of Phos-X in the filter and have seen no result. I ordered one of those phosphate reducing additives, but I am trying to avoid additives as much as I can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Maybe plan to add a lot more plants to your pond setup.
What are your nitrates like?
Phosphate reducers have their drawbacks as well (albeit small)
Plants, plants, plants!:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do water changes all the time of 10% the volume or less and do not de-chlore the water prior to adding it and do not add de-chlore after adding the water. I only use de-chlore when I do larger water changes. I have never seen any problems with my fish due to this. You should be fine up to about 80 gallons without de-chlore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't have a test for nitrates. Glad to hear my fish probably won't be damaged. They are not expensive, but I like to see them happy and healthy. I am working on the plants. I have 2 hardy lilies that survived the winter. I have recently added about a dozen bundles of anacharis and 4 water lettuce. They are growing nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I was just doing a water change. I dumped about 65 gallons of chlorinated (probably chloramine) water into a pond that had approximately 800 gallons of de-chlorinated water. I realized immediately what I had done. About 2 minutes later, I put a double dose of de-chlor into the stream of the waterfall.
The fish appear to be fine (and very happy about all the muck I just stirred up for them). About 15 minutes later, I dumped in another 65 gallons of properly dechlorinated water. What kind of damage did I likely do to my fish?

If it matters, the test readings immediately before the water change were:
pH 8.0
ammonia .25
nitrite .5
phosphate 10
I cant see it being a problem , however if your worried about chlorination or the more dangerous chloromines why not infest is a fresh water filter use something similar to the one we have :cool:

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

Hope this helps for the future

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States

Ask a Question