How hard to grow lilies from seeds?

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Guys,

How hard is it to grow hardy lilies from seeds ?

Here there aren't any lily suppliers. My friend is in the USA and he will be back in couple days. So it is a little urgent.

I am planning to ask him to buy me some but i heard they are very hard to grow home.

By the way please share if you know a good website selling seeds. All i can find is lotus seeds.

Thanks.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never tried it. I would guess he can't bring back a tuber.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found most lotus seeds are sometimes lily seeds instead .I bought some and they were advertised as lotus but were lily's instead .It is better to spend the extra money on tubers and they are usually not available here until March

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought mine off ebay from 3 different sellers and all of them were lily seeds .The split leaf was a tell tale sign /A lot of them floated also and that meant they were no good .I bought from the most reputable sellers that had great ratings .So you never know

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Guys the problem is the most of those plants sold out there are tropical ones. I am living in 8 zone where we might have occasional frosts. I got 100 lotus seeds from Thailand but i can't use them as they are not hardy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is true also .But zone 8 even tropical ones can live if protected .I got the hardy ones and also the tropical ones .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i look and most hardy water lily is sold by tuber and most of the tropical ones are from seeds (and they even name it wrong, some is lotus but listed as lily).

Do you know the different between lotus and water lily, and tropical water lily and hardy ones? asking becasue you might find what you want on ebay but you have to know what you are looking at.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put in everything on ebay and it seems they say lotus but then state they are lily and no tubers .those are both lily's.they also do not ship internationally so that could be a problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes those are both lilies, the only ones that' correct listing ;) I bought from them before, a few times, so they are good.

I think he said his friend is in the US right now so he might be able to ship to his friend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But says friend will be back in a couple of days .Maybe friend could find some where here to buy them while here but it might be a hard search .Shame they do not sell lotus tubers or seeds .I have been looking and found one finally just waiting for a e-mail back .They are in Georgia and sell lotus seeds .Not sure .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep just like anything they get mixed up .I propagated several from my lilies for people for free .They are easy to divide up ,just like hosta plants .Even stems can be put in cutting hormone powder and they grow great

Ask a Question