How long before PL sealant is fish-safe?

Reaction score
Good morning!
Based on comments made in various posts here at Garden Pond Forum, I'm ordering a case of Atlantic Spray Foam, and have bought some PL Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant. Planning to use both products in the next few days during construction of a new pond.

How long should either of these products be allowed to cure before making contact with fish-bearing water?

Reaction score
Good morning!
Based on comments made in various posts here at Garden Pond Forum, I'm ordering a case of Atlantic Spray Foam, and have bought some PL Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant. Planning to use both products in the next few days during construction of a new pond.

How long should either of these products be allowed to cure before making contact with fish-bearing water?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Look at the cure time that should be on the instructions that come with it. After it cures, I would rinse off all the seams, then fill it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Look at the cure time that should be on the instructions that come with it. After it cures, I would rinse off all the seams, then fill it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
Good morning!

Check ebay for great stuff pond foam, it is a lot cheaper, if you have the time to wait for it to be shipped.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
Good morning!

Check ebay for great stuff pond foam, it is a lot cheaper, if you have the time to wait for it to be shipped.

Reaction score
addy1 -
Thanks for the heads-up on ebay and Great Stuff. I visited our local Home Depot a few days ago, before the Atlantic Spray showed up. I'd convinced myself that the 12 cans wouldn't be enuf. HD had four or five different kinds of Dow Great Stuff, but none in black. I suggested to Pro Desk that they might want to carry the black, but I don't think they will.

I only found one hit for the right kind of Great Stuff on ebay, from nilsonhardware. Over $10/can, so the case of 12 I bought from Webb's was cheaper at about $8/can.

My wife was anxious to get the gang out of temporary housing and into their new digs, so I finished the below waterline section with a headlamp!! I can take my time foaming the rest of the rocks, the ones that roll up out of the pond and onto flat ground. I'm thinking the rest will be foamed just enough to help keep them from going KER-BLOOP when someone steps too close to the edge. At some point it'd probably be better to mix up some concrete a bit on the dry side and use shovelfuls of that rather than the foam.

It looks like I bought about five or six cans too many. Oh, well. Better than too few.

Reaction score
addy1 -
Thanks for the heads-up on ebay and Great Stuff. I visited our local Home Depot a few days ago, before the Atlantic Spray showed up. I'd convinced myself that the 12 cans wouldn't be enuf. HD had four or five different kinds of Dow Great Stuff, but none in black. I suggested to Pro Desk that they might want to carry the black, but I don't think they will.

I only found one hit for the right kind of Great Stuff on ebay, from nilsonhardware. Over $10/can, so the case of 12 I bought from Webb's was cheaper at about $8/can.

My wife was anxious to get the gang out of temporary housing and into their new digs, so I finished the below waterline section with a headlamp!! I can take my time foaming the rest of the rocks, the ones that roll up out of the pond and onto flat ground. I'm thinking the rest will be foamed just enough to help keep them from going KER-BLOOP when someone steps too close to the edge. At some point it'd probably be better to mix up some concrete a bit on the dry side and use shovelfuls of that rather than the foam.

It looks like I bought about five or six cans too many. Oh, well. Better than too few.

Ask a Question