How long can i shut down bog?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pretty decent leak. I'm almost sure it's coming from my bog. I need to shut off the flow to the bog but not drain it. I should be able to diagnose the problem by leaving if off overnight. Will leaving the flow off for 8 or 9 hours be a problem? Or will I have beneficial bacteria die off?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should be fine, I shut mine off for 5ish months without a issue (winter)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
id look for water wicking between the folds of the liner before i did anything

Reaction score
Country
United States
id look for water wicking between the folds of the liner before i did anything
I have checked around the edges of the main pond. I did find a couple places where water was wicking up the folds but I believe I got them taken care of. And at this point it's lost about 8". I would think if it was wicking water from folds, at a certain level it would stop.
I was in a huge hurry when I installed the rocks for the waterfall from bog to pond. That's why I assume the problem is there.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check the folds in the top of the bog. I had a lizards tail plant grow up thru a corner on mine and it was dropping the pond level 4-6 inches. Also check the edges of the bog. If the water level rises because plants are blocking the flow your bog can overflow.

Ask a Question