How long can Koi be in shallow pond during expansion

Reaction score
I also have a post going about my pond expansion, but started this new post because now I'm really nervous about my koi jumping. I'm expanding my pond while keeping the fish in it. I had to lower my level while sealing the pond liners together. It will be this way for a few days as it needs to cure.

I had to lower the level less than 2 feet, more than I anticipated. My koi are small, 2 being the largest at 10-12 inches. Now today a couple of them are jumping every few minutes. I have 2 bubblers going, a mini pump and filter in the pond. It's not in much sunlight so I don't think the temp is an issue. I'm assuming it's because the water is shallow. I have a leaf net on the pond.

Unfortunately I have to seal one more section and due to rain in forecast probably won't be able to do it until Wed. Then it will need another couple days to cure. Will they be ok?? I put some stress coat in the water as well.

I know I'm repeating my posts, but thought may get some more responses with this subject title.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did my filter and lowered my pond in the spring but did turn on the aerators at high with the air stones off and it took almost a week to get it all done .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had pumps going and one filter and other pump just pumped into a crate I set up on a bucket with quilt batting in it .

Reaction score
Thanks Sissy, I don't want to rush this and have it not be dried enough to fill. The fish seem to have calmed down. My husband says I worry too much and their just jumping for bugs. He gets home a couple of hours earlier than I do and says it happens in late PM alot.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As stated keep filtration going and keep plenty of aeration going as well. For that size koi 2' of water is fine as long as no predators can get to them. On the seam, If your using the black sealant that is sent with the seaming tape kit all you need to allow for curing is 24 hours max, actually should be fine after 24. Just don't pull hard against the seam. even weeks later the seam will be the weak spot in the liner so don't pull hard against it. If you followed the seaming instructions the sealant will be cured for use in as little as 12 hours but the manufacturer recommends 24-48 hours.

Ask a Question