how long does it take?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Steve knight said:
thats great so my quarantine tank will get going fast with media out of my pond.

Yes it will help speed things up. I would also add a couple comets in there as well. I actually use my inside 75gallon fish tank complete with fish as my quarantine tank. Not to concerned with loosing any in there if it should happen plus the fish get use to me.

Reaction score
whats a better way to go I get the new fish thursday or friday and they are spendy so want to do it the best. get the container filled with pond water throw some gravel in from my pots n the pond and put in a new sponge filter (motor wrapped in sponge and filter media in a basket and a fish. or put the filter in the pond till thursday and then put it in the container?

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Steve. I've heard that it usually takes about four to six weeks to establish a colony of good bacteria to start removing toxins from the water and it is also said that if use some type of purchased bacteria it takes about two weeks out of the cycle.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
I would run it in the pond since there is a higher bio load to promote growth. Dose with a bacteria supplement and it would be good to go.
If it's a quarantine tank then you can run it with no gravel or decorations to make it easier keeping it clean.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koidaddy said:
You should notice something in a few days.

Let me note here. When I said a few days I ment you will notice the slight discoloration, brown, on the media but by no means will it be ready at that point. That is how long it takes in my established filter.

Ask a Question