How long is normal before lotus put up aerial leaves?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon 18” deep tub heated tub (minimum 75 degrees) that I set up last year for lotuses and miscellaneous. This year I have two lotus started from seed in there each in 6x12” fabric pots with a mixture of kitty litter and pea gravel (there is also a betta in there for mosquito control). I started the seeds in March, and while they grew readily, they are still sending up nothing but coin leaves about smaller and less healthy looking ones than at first. I did mistakenly use a single pond tab on each after they each had about 6 coin leaves, but this doesn’t seem to have seriously hurt them. I also started occasionally treating for trace minerals with flourish trace, since the newer coin leaves have been smaller and starting out with curled edges, and a couple older leaves have had some yellowing between veins.

Last, since there are still no aerial leaves to shade the water, I’ve been forced to use light shade netting mid-day on very warm sunny days so the temps in the tub don’t exceed 85 degrees and kill the betta, so don’t know what kind of impact that is having, either.

It is normal when starting from seed to go 3 months without any aerial leaves so far, or is this a sign they aren’t developing correctly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Since you are starting from seed, I don't think it will form a tuber for a while. I believe (though I am not certain) that most of the stored energy for leaf production is in the tuber. It might be possible that you won't have aerial leaves for another season or two. I am sure more experienced lotus growers on here will chime in.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had seeds produce flowers in one year but it's rare. Not sure what minerals you are adding. Your temps may be too hot, don't have that issue here. No fertilizer till aerial leaves and then slow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have had seeds produce flowers in one year but it's rare. Not sure what minerals you are adding. Your temps may be too hot, don't have that issue here. No fertilizer till aerial leaves and then slow.
That is amazing! I had no idea they would develop that quickly from seed! I have one that needs to be divided but I have to wait till it is dormant. I love it!

Ask a Question