How Long....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
before the bog and skippy filter start clearing up pea soup algae? Typically that is? I read for the skippy filter a few weeks. I've read people have installed a bog filter and the next day 'clear'. Although no context to what the pond really looked like before the bog filter i.e. pea soup like mine.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Few weeks usually. Even without a bog a new pond will clear on its own. Built a new turtle pond last year, it turned pea soup green. Then cleared after about a month, with really minimal plants in it at the time. It’s been planted since then and a bog filter added on, before the turtles get put in there this spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine was nasty this spring but cleared up in just a few days after turning the filter on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Few weeks usually. Even without a bog a new pond will clear on its own. Built a new turtle pond last year, it turned pea soup green. Then cleared after about a month, with really minimal plants in it at the time. It’s been planted since then and a bog filter added on, before the turtles get put in there this spring.
My turtle is already out as she winters over in the pond. Frustrating as she likes to the plants in the pond and Koi food. Not her turtle food, not romaine lettuce but pond plants (lilies especially) and Koi food. But that's a different story.
I figured it would take time and that's fine but when I read or watch youtube videos on said subject and 'testimonials' of over night clearing up, makes me wonder. I just want to make sure I am on the right track.
I've kept ponds before and typically they stay clear but the last 2-3 years has been a struggle for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Mine was nasty this spring but cleared up in just a few days after turning the filter on.
was it 'pea soup' green? In the winter mine clears up. Less light outside so less algae growth. plus nutrients and the cold help combat algae. However this is 'new' in the sense I replaced the liner and redid waterfall and added a bog. So pretty much all new water. I expect this to happen too so I am not surprised.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My turtle is already out as she winters over in the pond. Frustrating as she likes to the plants in the pond and Koi food. Not her turtle food, not romaine lettuce but pond plants (lilies especially) and Koi food. But that's a different story.
I figured it would take time and that's fine but when I read or watch youtube videos on said subject and 'testimonials' of over night clearing up, makes me wonder. I just want to make sure I am on the right track.
I've kept ponds before and typically they stay clear but the last 2-3 years has been a struggle for me.

I quit keeping painted turtles and sliders ( keep diamondback terrapins, which are carnivores)for that reason. My two adult DBT’s stay in the main pond year round, but they laid eggs last year, so I now have seven more about 3” diameter shell width little ones that the new pond is for.

As long as the red eared slider can’t get into the bog you can grow plants there. Keeping a well planted pond whether in the pond proper or in a bog with proper circulation will help control the pea soup algae going forward.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I quit keeping painted turtles and sliders ( keep diamondback terrapins, which are carnivores)for that reason. My two adult DBT’s stay in the main pond year round, but they laid eggs last year, so I now have seven more about 3” diameter shell width little ones that the new pond is for.

As long as the red eared slider can’t get into the bog you can grow plants there. Keeping a well planted pond whether in the pond proper or in a bog with proper circulation will help control the pea soup algae going forward.
She hasn't noticed the bog yet HA but if she really wanted in, she could.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like others said, maybe a week or two — maybe a little longer. It might help to cut back on feeding during this time. It could help cut back on excess nutrients. Oh, and regarding turtles and plants — well, at least with box turtles — they are literally TANKS and have no respect for landscaping, LOL! I try to plant my “turtle-bog” in such a way that they have pathways to navigate around the plants. NOPE! Bulldozer TANKS! Go around something — nope! They’re so funny sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Like others said, maybe a week or two — maybe a little longer. It might help to cut back on feeding during this time. It could help cut back on excess nutrients. Oh, and regarding turtles and plants — well, at least with box turtles — they are literally TANKS and have no respect for landscaping, LOL! I try to plant my “turtle-bog” in such a way that they have pathways to navigate around the plants. NOPE! Bulldozer TANKS! Go around something — nope! They’re so funny sometimes.
Fortunately not feeding too much. For the most part they can survive without my feeding them. The skippy filter has been running for about 2 weeks and bog just went in on Sunday/Sat evening.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only time my pond is murky is after being off all winter. It takes about 1.5 days to become crystal clear after I turn everything back on. It stays that way all summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
think it's starting to clear up. Threw some canna lilies in there too with black gamecock iris. hopefully in a week or two I can put up some picks with clear water.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not have a bog, only a bio filter falls box.
Every year I have a different scenario regarding algae. Some years the pond has suspended algae, other years string algae, sometimes it lasts a couple weeks, sometimes 6 weeks, some years no algae problem. I have kept a journal and sometimes I can figure out why and other years I don't have the foggiest idea.
The first picture is of the algae bloom in 2016 - it lasted 2 weeks.
The second picture is of the algae bloom in 2017 - it lasted 2 weeks also, but was much more severe.
I have no idea why. Same fish load, and more mature plants in 2017.
misc - algae bloom - 2016 June 8, 11.jpg

misc - algae bloom - 2017 June 12, 16.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I have a couple things going in mine. Skippy filter with a bog. Even though the inhabitants of the pond are not new, I had to redo my pond from scratch. So new water, new filter which equals pea soup algae. Never was a problem until I added the turtle. She eats all my plants and ravages my lilies. However she's like a dog. She comes out of the pond when she sees my wife and I and begs for food. It's rather cute. She will follow us right up to the door to get fed. Unfortunately she only eats pond plants and Koi food. Not turtle food or Romaine lettuce. Very odd turtle. Hoping with this new bog, the previous lack of plants can be mitigated and help clear it up. Once the local garden center gets it's hyacinth in I will be tossing those in the skippy filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I'm sure the bog will help.
Hope so. Been on my to do list for some time. Past fall after the liner, which was relatively cheap from lowes, sprung a leak gave me the opportunity to do it. Looks like it's starting to clear up.

Ask a Question