How many fish should i add to pond???

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just want to start off by saying thank you for the responses I got from my previous posts...so my pond is up and running now. I have a pump and aeration and the water is balanced...I added 4 goldfish so far, just wondering how many I should add so it's not too crowded...pond in 370 gallons. Also any suggestions on what type of goldfish. I believe I have 4 comets now and they are about 2 inches in size...I live in southern Ontario Canada...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Honestly if you just start with four you will soon have a dozen. My stock answer to the question of "how many fish can I have?" is always "fewer than you want!" Less is more when it comes to stocking a pond.

Welcome to the GPF!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is about twice the size of yours. I have a total of 10 goldfish of various types, all original to the pond that was built 2 years ago. Two are shubunkins, 3 are regular comets, and 5 are sarassas. I'd estimate that all of them are in the 6-7 inch range in size. On an interesting side note, one of the comets was a silvery blackish color that only started turning orange this year. It still has black fins and tail, but I'm wondering if those will also eventually turn orange. I know comets frequently change colors as they age, but this one seemed to retain its original color for longer than usual. I'm not sure I'll ever add any more fish. Ten seems to be working as a good number for this pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Honestly if you just start with four you will soon have a dozen. My stock answer to the question of "how many fish can I have?" is always "fewer than you want!" Less is more when it comes to stocking a pond.

Welcome to the GPF!
Ok thank you,

Welcome to the GPF!
Just reading your reply now. Kids wanted more so now we have 9 lol. I guess I can always give some away once they multiply

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My pond is about twice the size of yours. I have a total of 10 goldfish of various types, all original to the pond that was built 2 years ago. Two are shubunkins, 3 are regular comets, and 5 are sarassas. I'd estimate that all of them are in the 6-7 inch range in size. On an interesting side note, one of the comets was a silvery blackish color that only started turning orange this year. It still has black fins and tail, but I'm wondering if those will also eventually turn orange. I know comets frequently change colors as they age, but this one seemed to retain its original color for longer than usual. I'm not sure I'll ever add any more fish. Ten seems to be working as a good number for I tried to get shu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I tried to get shubunkins but nobody sold them near me. Kids wanted ore so we have 9 now. Comets and shubunkins. Now I have to try to figure hiw much to feed them. I read somewhere to feed them as much as they can eat in 2 minutes. I find this hard as they all don't eat right away. And yes watching them change colors will be interesting

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I, personally, would stop at four...I started with 4 less than a year ago and now have 25 large shubunkins....Welcome to our forum!
Wow really lol. I have 9 now...looks like I will be getting rid of some as they multiply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Those of us who don't feed our fish have found that they gobble up eggs - which really helps keep the population from exploding!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Without a bog? stick to 10 max especially comets cause they grow so big.

With a bog? probably get away with double that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just want to start off by saying thank you for the responses I got from my previous posts...so my pond is up and running now. I have a pump and aeration and the water is balanced...I added 4 goldfish so far, just wondering how many I should add so it's not too crowded...pond in 370 gallons. Also any suggestions on what type of goldfish. I believe I have 4 comets now and they are about 2 inches in size...I live in southern Ontario Canada...
I would definitely recommend Shubunkins!! They'll add unique color among the other fish

Ask a Question