How many fish to keep in 90litres(21 gallon) mini pond?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have come to the horrible decision of giving some of our fish away, however they are staying with family so not as bad as going to total strangers, still pretty miffed about it though as have been in our family for over 25years now.
Our big pond was leaking so had to move all of our fish into a mini plastic pond roughly 90litres. fry and small sized fish have been doing fine in it but our 10 inch ones have been suffering, it was never a permanent thing but we are in the process of moving and because we are moving country its taking ages and cannot say when we will have a full sized pond for them again. They have been in it now for at least four months and all was well, the past week though one of the biggest and oldest ones died, I thought it might just be old age, but then one of the smallest ones died, no signs of disease. I did a water change and the others seem to be doing well and no sign of illness. The other biggest one appears to be a little slower than normal. I really want to keep them all but not fair on them, dont want to seperate them either as im sure your aware they make little gangs, but might have to do. How many do you think I could get away with keeping in this little pond for between 1-2 years. There are four that I would like to keep, is this to many, or could I get away with more?
Do you think I would be okay hiding them in a bucket somewhere whilst my relatives come to pick what they want, the ones I want to keep I think are the best looking and they will want them if they see them. I would love to keep the biggest one but like I said she is heading for 10-12 inches and like a caged tiger at the moment. the biggest one out of the others i want to keep are about 6 inches and are not koi not sure what they are though,they look like shubunkin x koi x goldfish

Errr any advice appreciated ,

Skyelar

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
21 gallons? you should not have more than few fish and small ones at that. Are you sure it is 90 liters? Can you pick up a stock tank or something of that sort to help your fish out, make sure you have some good filtering set up

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You can also use large trash cans that are clean or have a liner as an emergency holding area. That will give you 32 gallons or more.

Reaction score
if you are moving country you will eventually have to part with them so wouldnt it maybe be better to get them settled into a new home now, if its with family you can always go and see them in the time before you move,

Ask a Question