How many fry?

Reaction score
How many fry are normally born at once??? I was doing my normal cleaning and moving things around in my pond this morning and I saw a little fishy that I know I did not put in my pond. I am guessing that a good amount of fry are born at once, but I was so happy to see a new fish today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They drop a ton of eggs ...............The female Koi deposits her eggs, approximately 100,000 per kilogram of her body weight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think I have all males, I have never had any baby Koi. I watched that video that Andrew did, he said if your Koi snatch their food and go to the bottom, they are males. If they stay on top and eat PacMan style, they are female. Mine snatch and run .... So glad, I have enough baby comets. Don't need any more fish.

Reaction score
That is interesting. What about if none of my fish come to the top to eat??? No matter how hard I try, they won't come to the top to eat. I finally went to a sinking food that I get from Tricker's. They love it and go crazy trying to snag it out of the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How long have you had your fish mrteach? Maybe they are still getting used to you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn mine eat at the top and head to the bottom, guess males and females..............lots lol but guess that is a no brainer too, with the number of fry I have.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mrteach
If just some of the eggs fell into cracks the Koi couldn't eat you might have quite a few fry

Reaction score
Hmmm, I will have to keep an eye out for more. The one is a cute little guy, or...err girl. :)

jw, four of them I have had for three years now, and the other just this year. The ones I have had for three are more timid than the new ones. Its okay, I don't mind, but it would be cool to have them come up and eat from my hand.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe you should hold off on feeding them some.
A hungry fish is a friendly fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is interesting. What about if none of my fish come to the top to eat??? No matter how hard I try, they won't come to the top to eat. I finally went to a sinking food that I get from Tricker's. They love it and go crazy trying to snag it out of the water.

No idea ... lol Just repeating what he said on his Koi video.

Ask a Question