How many of you have a tree in your pond?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought this cypress tree about 7 years ago right after I built the pond. It started out in only 18" of water but when I removed that pond I repotted it and put it in the big pond. It has been there for about 5 years now and I have only removed it once to trim some roots and put in new soil. It is now about 5-6 feet tall and has been a slow grower (thank goodness). I have it in a 10 gallon pot and is planted in clay soil from around my yard. I like the idea of having this tree in the pond, it is unique and not something you see in a lot of water/fish ponds.

So that brings me to the topics title, how many of you have a tree that you put in your pond?

Here is the cypress tree:
P1030898.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I to have a bald cypress in my pond. It is only about 24" tall right now as I purchased it last year at about 18" tall. I am concerned though because it shows no signs of leafing out yet :( I am afraid it may not have made it through the winter. Strange since our winter was very mild and we didn't get colder than a zone 7b - 8a winter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I had a cedar seed (cede?) itself in the shallow area of the pond. It was about 18" tall when I found it among the rushes. Needless to say, it's no longer there!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull maple seedlings all of the time, when the maple drops it helicopters all over the pond and bog. But they don't count, they don't make it to tree size.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I to have a bald cypress in my pond. It is only about 24" tall right now as I purchased it last year at about 18" tall. I am concerned though because it shows no signs of leafing out yet :( I am afraid it may not have made it through the winter. Strange since our winter was very mild and we didn't get colder than a zone 7b - 8a winter.

Pecan does your tree show any signs of leafing out yet? Do you have it in a pot and if so what sort of dirt did you use?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a few Bald cypress i planted in my bog
18 years ago pushing 40 ft now
Yours looks good kinda like a bonsai ... nice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pecan does your tree show any signs of leafing out yet? Do you have it in a pot and if so what sort of dirt did you use?

I think I see a little swelling but not sure. I planted a large one in a moist area of the yard as well that looks the same. It is in a pot with regular ditch dirt and pea gravel on top. It was raining the last few days and wet both trunks looked very red. I think that is a good sign. I also did a scratch test and both are green inside... I will just wait I guess.

Ask a Question