How much beneficial bacteria to add?

Reaction score
Ok So I am completing my skippy filter and I am ordering some Microlift to add at start up. My question is how much do I need to order to get started? My pond is approximately 1500 gallons and I am building a 100 gallon skippy filter. So how much do I add to the media? I am sure the bottle has directions but I will not be able to read them until I get it and I want to make sure I order enough. Any help would be awesome!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
use the pl gel...brush it right on your filter media...follow directions you wont be disappointed. if you use the regular liquid it will tell you right on the lable.

Reaction score
how long can it take the bacteria to establish itself??? is this something that you can see???

Reaction score
Fully cycled aquarium tank should take 6-8 weeks. If you kept fish in tanks before you'll notice the water will go cloudy. It'll slowly clear up once the tank is fully cycled.

Pond is just bigger, I suppose it's the same. However, not sure what's up with my 1500G basement pond (if you haven't seen it yet, I posted my build in the DIY section). I have 16 koi in there and been feeding them like pigs. Ammonia is still unmeasurable.

Not even sure if you need to add bacteria to speed things up in your setup (I think you said you only have 3 koi in there right now). But go for it if you feel you want to do it.

Reaction score
i have some that i add weekly, very small amount, its strong stuff. the 3 small koi have been doing ok.

Reaction score
Okay... I must take back what I said... almost 1 week in, there's maybe .25 ammonia in the water. Haha! Noticed that the water is a little cloudy today too. Looks like I won't be feeding my koi like pigs anymore until my basement pond is cycled. LOL!

I'm going to let the pond fully cycle naturally. I'm not even sure if the cheap cycle stuff I bought is working for my 130G (I forget the name). 6th week in and it's almost cycled. Still cloudy but nitrite going down fast.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. It will dissapear when the bio filter kicks in. In the meantime, do partial water changes and back off on the feeding.

Reaction score
jameskoi said:
Fully cycled aquarium tank should take 6-8 weeks. If you kept fish in tanks before you'll notice the water will go cloudy. It'll slowly clear up once the tank is fully cycled.

Pond is just bigger, I suppose it's the same. However, not sure what's up with my 1500G basement pond (if you haven't seen it yet, I posted my build in the DIY section). I have 16 koi in there and been feeding them like pigs. Ammonia is still unmeasurable.

Not even sure if you need to add bacteria to speed things up in your setup (I think you said you only have 3 koi in there right now). But go for it if you feel you want to do it.

Here's an update to my new basement pond cycling. I reduced feeding my koi like pigs. Water still cloudy but ammonia is back to unmeasurable. Incredible only after being 7 or so days of operation.

Reaction score
OK I need a little more specific help. I understand that when I order the beneficial bacteria that I should follow the directions to get my filter established. Can anyone help me estimate how big a bottle I need to order to get started. I have looked to try and figure it out myself but unfortunately i can not read the label online so I have no idea how much I will need to add as my first treatment. Should I order a 16oz bottle or 32oz to get started? My filter is a 100gallon skippy filter and my pond is about 1500 gallon. My fear is that I will either order not enough or way too much. Any help would be great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
100 gal skippy....get the 32 oz if your using the pl gel...thats alot of scrubbies to coat, but you'll be happy you did. you dont have to coat em all but lightly hit as many as you can and mix em up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you'll want some liquid too, for maintainence dosing, pour a little in every couple weeks. do the coating outside, smells like rotten eggs but stronger. if your filter media is already in the filter and wet, you'll want to take it out and let it dry before you use the gel.

Ask a Question