How much bioballs per gallon of water in pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much bioballs do I need for a 5,000 gallon pond? I’m assuming there is some sort of general rule of thumb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If there is a rule of thumb, I've never heard of it. My Savio kit came with some Springflo (ribbon-like) bio media that goes in the waterfall chamber. In addition to that, I have another smaller waterfall chamber (probably less than 5 gal) that I filled with bio balls. I estimate my pond to be about 700 gal and my system seems to be nice and healthy. The 10 various goldfish I started with almost 2 years ago are still doing great. Oh, and I also run a UV light that was part of the kit.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh gosh, that’s a new one. Not sure there is a number per gallon, but if you calculate it like you do a bog it would be something more based on surface area rather than gallons…..at least for the kind of pond keeping we do here.

It might depend more on what type of fish you have. Of course, you can’t over filter……so…..

Um, hate to bring up the forbidden phrase, but have you done an Internet search?

Reaction score
I'm a total pond newbie, and I had to google bioballs after reading this post, but I did come across this webpage which mentioned a "rule of thumb"; again, I dont have the skills to endorse it, just thought it might be of use:

How many bio balls do you need?​

The answer to this question depends entirely on the brand of bio balls you purchase.

A general rule of thumb is 2.2 gallons of bio balls per 100 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It looks like that article is based on aquarium use, rather than for a pond. While it might seem like it should be the same, that's really an impractical amount of bioballs to have to use in a pond. A 5 gallon pail for every couple hundred gallons? Yikes! I have a large mesh bag of bioballs in each of my biofalls, but I also have a layer of gravel covering the entire bottom of the pond, and that's really where the bulk of my beneficial bacteria is growing, not in those sacks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the info! I've done some digging online and have seen a few different websites say 200-300 bio balls per 1000 gallons of water. I'm going to keep them in a 55 gallon drum, or whatever size drum I can house them in that will be a nice snug fit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If there is a rule of thumb, I've never heard of it. My Savio kit came with some Springflo (ribbon-like) bio media that goes in the waterfall chamber. In addition to that, I have another smaller waterfall chamber (probably less than 5 gal) that I filled with bio balls. I estimate my pond to be about 700 gal and my system seems to be nice and healthy. The 10 various goldfish I started with almost 2 years ago are still doing great. Oh, and I also run a UV light that was part of the kit.
This is great info, thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I REPLIED ON A DIFFERENT POST.
bIO BALLS ARE NOT designed FOR SUBMERGED USE.
they are most effective in a shower or trickle filter very easy dyi project or

Ask a Question