How much duckweed can a fish eat?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So some friends of ours went on vacation and put their goldfish in our care. It's a small fancy goldfish about 1.5" long and in a 1gallon tank. It's for their young son and they got it a week or two before their vacation. We offered them our spare 5g or 10g tank but they wanted something tiny so they got this.

The 1g tank come with a tiny pump, filter and light. The first thing I did when it came was put some duckweed into the tank. I figure that tiny filter wasn't meant for a 1.5" goldfish and wasn't cycled anyway and didn't want to present them with a dead fish when they came back. The duckweed was from our cycled indoor tank.

After 4 days, the gf seemed fine and happy except the tank is too small, which I will talk to the parents once when they come back. Which will be on Monday, I think.

5th day all the duckweed has gone. I tell my kids not to remove them as they are probably all that stands between the gf and death but they say they didn't do anything. So we think the gf ate them, though my pond fish and indoor fish never eat the stuff. I had been thinking we got a variety that fish don't eat. There were about a dozen duckweed in there.

Last night before bed, I put about 30 duckweed in that tank. The gf did not eat any while I was looking at it. This morning, all the duckweed has gone. OK, that 1.5" gf ate it all. I'm not going to put any more duckweed in there but how can such a small gf eat that many plants? He seems happy and hungry.

Is it dangerous to put more duckweed in there?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my 8 fish ate about 2 lbs of duckweed in one day. When I clean my wildlife pond out I tossed the duckweed to my big pond and the next day it'll be all gone.

I don't think you should feed him more since he'll be making more waste - more ammonia in that tiny tank. just my thought....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of my goldfish will eat duckweed up like it's candy.

I dont think it will hurt him to eat as much as he wants of the duckweed. It's not the same as feeding a flake or pelleted food.

In a one gallon tank I would be doing daily water changes. Even a small fancy will produce a lot of waste.

Nice of you to fish sit :) Hopefully you will talk them into something more appropriate for this little guy. Otherwise they won't have him very long.

Ask a Question