How much fluval for 55 gallon filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!
I am currently in the process of creating a 55 gallon filter for my new duck pond. The pond itself is relatively small at 150 gallons. I have 3 ducks in there currently and need to change the water just about every 3 days. I had no idea how happy ducks were to swim in their own mess
My question is this. Using a 400 gph water pump leading into a 55gallon filtration tank (55g blue barrel) how much fluval should I use? I am going to be planting some...plants, and would like to use some sort of biofiltration.
I found a deal on amazon for 750 grams of fluval but idk how much is too much or too little. This is the first time I'm creating my own filtration system. Obviously.
If there's any other information you need please let me know and thank you all for your help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd evict the ducks.

Trust me I would love to give them to a farm haha my girlfriend got them and won't do it unfortunately. I built the whole pen and I'm working on the filter now. The ducks cost $20 for all 3 and the pen cost $700 to build that's a lot of money for eggs...
They're also for my daughter to grow up with though and she loves them so once the ducks start producing, we're using the eggs as rent

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok i thought they were nature's little trespassers. You might be better served with frequent water changes rather then trying to filter it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok i thought they were nature's little trespassers. You might be better served with frequent water changes rather then trying to filter it.

I've already bought all the pvc, pump, mechanical media, and the tank. I just need to know how much fluval (how many grams) I should buy.
Dumping 150 gallons every 3 days is a lot of water to waste. I'm thinking of attaching the drain on the filter to a hose leading to the garden so the fluval is a must. Or as least some sort of biomedia

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the pond. I've only filled it halfway so I don't waste as much water while I'm building the filter.

I'm using this 55 gallon drum for the filter. I'll also add more pictures as it progresses

Attachments

• 1461195143874941116550.jpg
    1461195143874941116550.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 1461195289300804803672.jpg
    1461195289300804803672.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 264

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've already bought all the pvc, pump, mechanical media, and the tank. I just need to know how much fluval (how many grams) I should buy.
Dumping 150 gallons every 3 days is a lot of water to waste. I'm thinking of attaching the drain on the filter to a hose leading to the garden so the fluval is a must. Or as least some sort of biomedia
Fluval is a brand name. What exactly do you have? Filter pads, blocks, bio-foam. polishing pads?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fluval is a brand name. What exactly do you have? Filter pads, blocks, bio-foam. polishing pads?

As of right now I have a 10 inch gap for settling at the bottom, then a landing I made of pvc and a grate that I'm putting coarse filter pads on. I'm not positive of the order but I was going to do medium pads and then fine and then use another landing and put the fluval ceramic biomedia
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...lter+media&dpPl=1&dpID=51UxIAIHvgL&ref=plSrch

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I gotta tell ya that no filter is gonna clear that much duck crap. I'm not even sure that pond is 150 gallons. My preform was 150 gallons and it was much bigger .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I gotta tell ya that no filter is gonna clear that much duck crap. I'm not even sure that pond is 150 gallons. My preform was 150 gallons and it was much bigger .

Maybe it's not. When I bought it it said it was 150 gallons but it does seem small. The water in the picture is a little over a foot deep though and it's another foot from the small landings on either side. And it's about 8 feet long by 3 or 4 feet wide if I remember correctly.

I don't want to get off topic though. Say the filtration system does work and it's keeping the water clean, how much biomedia would you guys recommend? It doesn't have to be the fluval in the link. I just noticed it was pre-filter. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

I need some sort of an idea as to what I can use as a biomedia and how much. I do not want to use lava rock in case the duck poo does gunk it up. I need to be able to easily access the filter at the bottom.

Please I need some serious ideas and/or information

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As of right now I have a 10 inch gap for settling at the bottom, then a landing I made of pvc and a grate that I'm putting coarse filter pads on. I'm not positive of the order but I was going to do medium pads and then fine and then use another landing and put the fluval ceramic biomedia
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...lter+media&dpPl=1&dpID=51UxIAIHvgL&ref=plSrch
If you are going to use Fluval, this is what you need for bio-conversion.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHSG5M
Any filter media you use ceramic, bio-balls even lava rock should be placed in media bags. Any media will clog especially if filtering for ducks. As far as how much....as much as you can fit into that 55 gallon drum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if this all seems like stuff I should know before I took this on. As I said, i wasn't exactly planning on housing 3 ducks let alone building a filter. I'm learning all of this as I go along over the past week.

I do however think that I've picked up a new hobby. I think it'd be interesting to learn about nitrate production and filter the "waste" water to help fertilize the garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just wanted to say the ducks sitting patiently by their soon-to-be pond cracked me up! Or should I say "quacked " me up?

Ask a Question