How much room do koi need?

Reaction score
Hi, I want to bring my 4 koi (approx 1ft each) inside for the winter. I have a leak somewhere in my bottom drain plumbing and I will need to drain the pond to fix it. Instead of some temporary outside housing for the fish I want to get them an aquarium. My question is what is the minimum size of tank to get? I want to make sure they are comfortable without breaking the bank!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Cdsdave,
Do you belong to Koiphen, the koi forum? It's pretty much devoted to koi only, although there are gardening threads etc. You might consider that site for information, as it is unlikely you're going to have a 2000 gallon tub / aquarium for them to over winter in. I mention 2000 gallons, as they typically advise 500 gallons per koi, although there are not hard and fast rules, especially if you have good filtration.

My pond is 1670 gallons and I have five koi. I may rehome one in the Spring, but they are doing well. Leaks are so maddening! Kim

Reaction score
The amounts of water per koi given above are typical for a pond. Koi keepers who bring their fish into the basement for the winter of necessity provide much less space. They bring in a pond filter and do large regular water changes. If the fish are in in cool basement or garage they can be fed very lightly. Under these circumstances, a 300 gallon stock tank will do. An aquarium of this size is too expensive to be practical.

Reaction score
I'll buck the other advice here and suggest that you (could) keep that many koi in a 100 gal+ aquarium temporarily, providing you maintain excellent filtration, and watch your water quality like a hawk. Keep in mind that this would not be ideal conditions, and if things could go wrong your fish and they could start dying, real fast.
I kept 8 very large fantail goldfish (about that size) in a 100 gallon tank for several years with no problems, doing regular water changes and had two filter systems running, with added aeration. However, they got neglected, by the person who was suppose to care for them while I was out of town for only a few short weeks, and 6 of them died. :banghead3: That was about the time I lost interest in keeping aquariums.
So, if you are really interested in trying it, you need to seriously consider what sort of filtration you'll be using, and just how diligent you'll need to be with their care. Also, keep in mind fish that size are really hard to flush down the toilet. :nono:

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
I'll buck the other advice here and suggest you (could) keep that many koi in a 100 gal+ aquarium temporarily, providing you maintain excellent filtration, and watch your water quality like a hawk. Keep in mind that this would not be ideal conditions, and if things could go wrong your fish and they could start dying, real fast.
I kept 8 very large fantail goldfish (about that size) in a 100 gallon tank for several years with no problems, doing regular water changes and had two filter systems running, with added aeration. However, they got neglected, by the person who was suppose to care for them while I was out of town for only a few short weeks, and 6 of them died. :banghead3: That was about the time I lost interest in keeping aquariums.
So, if you are really interested in trying it, you need to seriously consider what sort of filtration you'll be using, and just how diligent you'll need to be with their care. Also, keep in mind fish that size are really hard to flush down the toilet. :nono:
I agree that this can be done but at this point you are talking about fish surving rather than thriving.

Reaction score
I do like the 300gal stock tank idea. I would be using my external pump and bio filter on it so I will probably need to restrict the flow with a check valve. I guess you can't over circulate the water? Just don't want to blow the fish out of the water:)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think 100 gallon for 4 12" koi is really pushing the limits, it could be done but unless you have one already set up, the 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub would be the best bang for the buck, It has many uses beyond just being a tank for the winter, It can be used for a hospital tank, QT tank, even could be converted to extra filtration later on. As for a pump, you could get away with anything from 300gph to 1800 gph and the fish could handle the flow, The issue that needs to be of concern is the filtration and what it can handle. You can over circulate the filtration and at some point you could over circulate for the fish themselves, although they can handle a pretty strong current and if feed properly and the water conditions kept pristine, You could get some really strong growth and muscle tone by feeding them indoors during the winter and keeping them in a strong current.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I believe in having the best environment available for the fish, even for short periods. I'd recommend getting a small pump. You can get a 500-1000gph one for about 50 bucks and use your current filter with it. You can add an air pump and maybe some decor to keep the fish from getting bored.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i built my 800 gal basement wintering pond, and filter for less than the cost of a 300 gal stocktank.
I agree with Koiguy ... we have a 600 and 750 gallon pond in the basement. Retail here is about $0.90 per square foot for a 45 mil liner (you could get away with a lower quality liner inside) .. both ponds used a 10 x 15 liner, so under $150 each there, and then mostly scrap lumber to build the boxes ... an 8 x 10 liner really wouldnt be worth the effort. Can make a decent filter out of a $30 heavy duty plastic garbage barrel, or better still, if you can get your hands on a clean 55 gallon barrel for free ... and Harbor Freight has a cheap pump that's 2150 gph for I think $90 regular price. Add in maybe another $30 for pvc and then you just need some misc media that you may already have laying around ...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Ya, reminded me of this thread where davepratt is building his basement pond (little girl not included).
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/13028-water-bed-heater/

capewind said:
I agree with Koiguy ... we have a 600 and 750 gallon pond in the basement. Retail here is about $0.90 per square foot for a 45 mil liner (you could get away with a lower quality liner inside) .. both ponds used a 10 x 15 liner, so under $150 each there, and then mostly scrap lumber to build the boxes ... an 8 x 10 liner really wouldnt be worth the effort. Can make a decent filter out of a $30 heavy duty plastic garbage barrel, or better still, if you can get your hands on a clean 55 gallon barrel for free ... and Harbor Freight has a cheap pump that's 2150 gph for I think $90 regular price. Add in maybe another $30 for pvc and then you just need some misc media that you may already have laying around ...

Ask a Question