How much salt is safe/too much??

Reaction score
I've read so many conflicting opinions as to the use of salt in koi ponds it gats rather confusing. Some say none at all, some say higher levels. I'm currently running a .15 ppt salinity level in my pond. If I should get an outbreak of something, say, fin rot, is it safe to add more?? How much and for how long?? I've read levels of .2 ppt is the limit for plants, but what about long term levels for the pond in general??
Wondering what experiences you can share about your salt use experience.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've read so many conflicting opinions as to the use of salt in koi ponds it gats rather confusing. Some say none at all, some say higher levels. 1) I'm currently running a .15 ppt salinity level in my pond. 2) If I should get an outbreak of something, say, fin rot, is it safe to add more?? How much and for how long?? 3) I've read levels of .2 ppt is the limit for plants, but what about long term levels for the pond in general??
4) Wondering what experiences you can share about your salt use experience.

1) I'm currently running a .15 ppt salinity level in my pond.

I think you might mean 0.15% salinity, not ppt. A 0.15 ppt salinity would amount to 0.015% salinity, which is incredibly low and pond water actually has a natural salinity higher than 0.015%.

2)
If I should get an outbreak of something, say, fin rot, is it safe to add more?? How much and for how long??

To treat bacterial infections with salt, then you would need to safely net the fish so to place it into a quarantine tank so to then increase the salinity up to 6ppt, that is 0.60% salinity, and keep the fish in this salinity for up to 1 week.

For salinity to kill parasites, then, once fish is placed in a quarantine tank, then increase salinity to 10ppt (1% salinity) for 1 hour, then do a 80% water change, then bring the water change back up to 6pp (0.60% salinity) for up to 2 weeks, then significant slow 80% water change.

This is the treatment used in many aqua-ponic systems, which is the hybrid hobby involving fish and vegetable gardening. To learn more about aqua-ponics, then read the thread, "Is aqua-ponics viable?". Many of the conventional treatments used to treat bacterial and parasitic problems is actually carcinogenic, which means should not be used in water involving anything that is edible. So, the big solution for these aqua-ponic systems is the use of salinity and injections.

3) I've read levels of .2 ppt is the limit for plants, but what about long term levels for the pond in general??

I think you mean 0.20% salinity rather than 0.20 ppt.

Do not maintain any long term salinity concentrations in the pond. There are particular pathogens, bacterial infections, and parasites that easily, quickly build up an immunity to salinity concentrations.

Eventually, over time, baking soda, that is sodium bicarbonate, will naturally increase the salinity of your pond, which is why I often recommend slow large seasonal water changes, at least two each year, so to dilute this salinity.

4) Wondering what experiences you can share about your salt use experience.[/QUOTE]

Thread, What Kind of Salt?, should help you and be sure to read the referenced thread within this thread titled, "Is salt healthy in pond. Salt in pond". To help understand the salinity numbers and math involved in determining dosage, then read the thread, post#28 "Salt?". To understand why type of instrument to use for salinity, then read thread, post#60 First Time High Ammonia!, and also this thread at post#80 talks about the dangers to plants when increasing salinity.

It is absolutely critical that the salt is very well dissolved in the water. If it is not, then you may experience a sudden salinity spike, which is not good at all.

If you want to increase salinity above 0.25%, that is 2.5ppt, then do it in a quarantine tank.

Ask a Question