How much salt?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that my pond is finally (almost) ready for fish I have one thing left to do, condition the water. I know about de-chlorination and adding the bio-starter, but I did not know about adding salt. I was told that for my 1500 gallon pond, I should add about 45 pounds of Morton Solar Salt. Does this sound about right?

Also, could you recommend a water test kit to make sure everything is OK before I get some fish?

Thanks in advance!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Salt is best applied to dead fried fish. Tell us what you are considering starting with for a fish load.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know they need some salt for there slime coat but not sure that is even true,everyday the info on a pond changes . I use koi clay instead it is safer and clarifies the water at the same time .WOW 45 lbs would be a salt bath .I would not want that either .

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Healthy fish is healthy water have all they need to produce a healthy slime coat . Salt is simply an analgesic sold by pond supply company's to make profit off of novice pond keepers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are always dealing with outside sources when it comes to ponds .Frogs birds and everything else that you have no control over .Every time I rebuilt my pond i started all over again .It is never easy at the beginning and it all just takes time .Perfection or even close does not happen in a day or a week it could be months or years for a pond to get established .There is a lot of old info out there that is suspect and you just have to weed through it all .It sure is true when they say that companies are out there to make money .I rely on people on here and notes from my dads pond .I still to this day use lava rock in my filters .Old fashioned but it works for me .If ponding was easy it would not be as much fun or interesting and also not as rewarding

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was also advised to add salt in my pond. After joining this forum and reading more about it, I am no longer adding salt.

Water test kits:
  • API Freshwater Master Test Kit (tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH) ($21.95 from amazon)
  • API KH & GH test kit ($5.99 from amazon)

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
My local pond shop owner dislikes me because the only thing I buy from him is food. I most of my supplies from him when I first bought the pond and havnt spent more then 20 bucks a month since. I installed my pond correctly the first time,with the exception of needing a new pump occasionally I need nothing else . He was the one who "sold " me all my stuff when I had the little 150 gallon,he sold me koi,he sold me meds,more meds,tried to sell me salt and he sold me lots of replacement fish. It's good business to ill advise,fish have a high profit margin!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my fish were cheapies and cost less than 7 dollars a piece and 2 of them only cost me a dollar at the koi farm .Only thing I buy is food and liquid barley and meds for the just in case I get someones sick fish to get healthy again .I usually buy blackwater koi food and fall food but tried a couple of new kinds because they were so cheap .Got rid of the shubbies because of jumping out of my pond .I gave them to new people with the warning about them .I have never lost a fish but sure have given a lot of them away .My biggest expense was the liner and pumps and aerator .I always wait for sales online at webbs or dr foster and smith or petsolutions with free shipping .I have a test kit but sometimes take my water to my local petstore to get it tested .I get a printout and it is cheaper and easier at times .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Now that my pond is finally (almost) ready for fish I have one thing left to do, condition the water. I know about de-chlorination and adding the bio-starter, but I did not know about adding salt. I was told that for my 1500 gallon pond, I should add about 45 pounds of Morton Solar Salt. Does this sound about right?

Also, could you recommend a water test kit to make sure everything is OK before I get some fish?

Thanks in advance!
2 1/2 cups for each 100 gallons.

Good luck and have fun, Jim.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These are not salt water fish .I have taken care of fish that people were told to add a lot of salt and it was sad to look at the poor fish .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! The person that recommended salt was actually a representative of a supplier that does not sell salt (so I think he was just working on old knowledge, not trying to get me to buy anything. In fact, he said to get it at Home Depot). I have since been researching this topic and found what you all have said. Salt was a common way to fight disease but not good for long term. I read that it might be helpful in the spring while fish gain their strength, but after that water changes must be done to reduce the salt level. Anyway, no salt for me.

Reaction score
Now that my pond is finally (almost) ready for fish I have one thing left to do, condition the water. I know about de-chlorination and adding the bio-starter, but I did not know about adding salt.
I have since been researching this topic and found what you all have said. Salt was a common way to fight disease but not good for long term.
Keep researching, you shouldn't need to add de-chlorination or bio-starter either.
Chlorine in tap water will break down and dissipate from the pond water naturally in about a day or two. As long as you don't already have fish in the pond there is no need to add de-chlorinator.
Same pretty much goes for 99% of those "bio-starter" products. If you feel the need to add some sort of product to your pond water add some cheap ammonia, then use your new test kit to test for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels. Over time you'll see the ammonia levels drop and nitrite levels rise, then you'll see nitrite levels drop and nitrate levels rise. Once you understand what is happening it should be enough to convince you that your never needed any "bio-starter" product in the first place.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bio starter, just another big money maker for the fish shops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think salt has its place for use with goldfish. It can be used during the cycling process to protect against nitrite poisoning and to stimulate the slime coat. Used at higher levels as a dip it will help to rid parasites.

I keep aqaquarium salt on hand for emergency use on sick or new fish but use it only in a quarantine tank.

As for dechlorinator I use Prime or Aquasafe (prime being my first choice) If you have chloramines in your water they do not dissipate like chlorine will.

Ask a Question