How much salt?

Reaction score
Hi, One of my koi is starting to show a blackish-grey growth along its back fin and top of its head and I think it is some kind of fungus. How much salt would I add to a 2500 gallon pool for treatment?

After reading all the horror stories about parasites, etc., I am now paranois and wonder if all the fish are 'flashing' because they itch or if it is only playful behavior.

I don't have the ability to set up a hospital tank and need to treat the entire pond if anyone here thinks it is warranted. I have found a product http://www.ponddoc.com/Store/FishHealthProducts/DocsPrescription/DPParasitePak.htm has anyone experience with this stuff? I need to jump on this asap guys. thanks, Scott

Reaction score
Thanks...

I'm going to swap out 1/3 to 1/2 of the water with new (it's well water so no declorination is necessary) and then add salt. It seems strange that I would add nearly 20lb of salt for my 2500 gallon pond...seems like a lot of salt. Are my calculations close?

I'm wondering if I should salt bath the only fish with the fungus separately. I saw some instructions here on this forum for doing so.

I guess I'd better google a test kit too since there's no way I'd find one in this town.

Reaction score
Okay, I swapped out 50% of the water and have added salt over the past three days, not to shock the fish, to an approximate 1%. The koi with the fungus doesn't appear to be getting worse, but she dosen't appear to be getting better either.

So, should I give this a couple of days before the next step? Is the next step to capture her and put her in a 3% salt bath for ten minutes before returning her to the pond?

Do I do this more than once, and if so, at what intervals?

If this doesn't work then should I use fungicide chemicals on the entire pond? Or fungicide AND bacterial treatment?

I don't think it is a bacterial problem and the fungus may have grabbed hold after she injured herself bumping into something. I'd probably do both either way just to be sure

All assistance is greatly appreciated. !!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I hope you are at .1% not 1%. You can take the pond up to .3% for a week if necessary, then back off until you get it back to .1% over several weeks.
If in a few weeks, this has not cured the problem, then we can discuss other meds.

Do you have tetracycline in case it is needed? Feed and Grain stores have it in 100 capsule qty for less than $20. The brand I buy is called "Fish Cycline".

Reaction score
I meant .1% (20lbs in approximately 2000 gallon pond). I guess I can add more, I was just a little worried in doing so.

None of the koi seem concerned with it and they are all , including the fungus one, are eating like their usual piggy selves.

I check the feed & seed places for the tetracycline.

I'll keep monitoring and posting DrDave so that I can garner your expertise in this matter.

Thanks.

Reaction score
We use water softening salt its in a blue bag at lowes and it works well for us and its pretty cheap idk about pool salt id have to research it alittle........

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
about salt levels... if you dont have plants .30% is fine
with plants, .15% is about as high as you want go as a constant...the lower level is for your plants benefit not the fish...plants have adverse reactions to salt long before and at far lower levels than the fish. and Mortons solar salt is the salt pondbuilder is talking about ...its what i use $4.50 for 50# bag!

Ask a Question