Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not sure how often one fish will spawn, but I know I have seen spawning type movement in my pond through the month of August, sometimes September.
I just watched them inhale a bunch of eggs about a week ago. They went crazy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have never seen any eggs but I do see them chasing starting in the Spring and all through Summer. Once in awhile now I see a baby but not this year yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is the question.
I'm sure you know this but goldfish don't actually lay eggs. The eggs get pushed out by the male by squeezing the female against a hard surface and then fertilizes them. If you see a lot of different looking bubbles in your pond close together most likely it's from spawning and a sure sign your fish are still producing eggs. I just saw some the other day. There are a lot of things that promote breeding like temperature change and changes in the water chemistry. For some reason I never see any fry and then late August and September I see all these 1-1.5 inch babies. Now they are brave enough to swim with the other fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are still chasing, I watched a bunch of pushing and bumping yesterday. Then the fish go crazy inhaling the eggs.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
More often than one might wish! They are prolific breeders and the mood strikes them whenever. Like @CometKeith said - water changes, temperature changes, lots of rain... just about any change can spur them to spawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read that spawning is typically once a month during spring and summer.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question