How often do you replace your filter pads/ Media?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just order a new course pad for my skimmer box, and although it is advertised as " just rinse and reuse" , the manufactures advise to replace it often (they only tell you this after you purchase), so I was wondering not so much what the "rule" is, but what do other ponders do....how often do you replace your Media and filter pads?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I use Matala pads in my skimmer and once a month from spring thru fall rinse them off with a hose. Since I use them for mechanical filtration I don't worry about using tap water to rinse them.
For fine particles I use quilt batting after the matala pads and change these weekly unless the water looks murky then will change out the quilt batting more often. I machine wash the quilt batting and reuse them. I have found a 80% polyester to 20% cotton ratio holds up best in the wash
The matala pads are 4 years old. Every spring I make a new set of quilt batting because they break down over time.
The water is viable to the bottom depth of 3 feet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The reason for them saying that is they make more money .I replace my filter pads ,which by the way are reusable furnace filters when they start to fall apart and then the old ones go in my filter in the stock tank .There is good bacteria in them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I set up a mechanical 55 gallon drum filter this past spring. I hoped for very infrequent cleanings and to date, I haven't had to do so yet. I am employing a 'filter bag' mechanism and it's working great. I figure I'll just throw the filter pad/bag away and just make another next spring.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Up until last year renovation, my filtering consisted in just a couple of bags of lava rocks in the waterfall tank! Now I have 2 waterfall tanks with different color pads, and swirly media in each one, and a pad in the skimmer box.
The contractor just installed the setup, but never gave us details on the pads kind on maintenance, so I'm trying to learn all I can to maximize the filtration.
I thought I knew a lot about running a pond, turns out I have so much to learn it's depressing!:(

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Replace the filter pads when they fall apart, which is usually about once a year. Just rinse and reuse until then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I have only replaced the pads (or other parts of the filtration system) when they started falling apart. Other than that, I give them a rinse every once in a while, not to squeaky-clean conditions as they do have good bacteria on them, but enough to get most of the muck off of them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After reading through these posts, I'm coming to the conclusion that it depends on what your media is made of. More solid [plastic?] media [Spring-flow, Matala, hair curlers, bioballs......] will tend to last longer as they won't break down as quickly. They might clog, but still they tend to be rinse & reuse. Whereas the other media like buffer pads and furnace filters are more fibrous and do tend to break down faster. Once they reach the end of their life-span [months, maybe?], they're history. At one time I used furnace filters, and it bugged me to death when they started breaking down -- it seemed like I had more debris from the filters than I did from the pond itself.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I have only replaced the pads (or other parts of the filtration system) when they started falling apart. Other than that, I give them a rinse every once in a while, not to squeaky-clean conditions as they do have good bacteria on them, but enough to get most of the muck off of them.
Me, too. When they fall apart. Or any time they've been allowed to dry up for whatever reason.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use old fashioned lava rock .But use furnace filter an quilt batting also and when it falls apart I hang it over the fence and the birds and squirrels steal it ;)

Ask a Question