How Old Is Your Fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reading an old thread in another forum, I got to wondering how old your goldfish are? That is, what age is the oldest? And not to dismiss the koi keepers, who has the oldest koi on gpf? Of course you'll be asked to post up a pic as well...!

I started my pond in 2011 and have about 14 gf that are now into their 7th year. The one I picked out as a favorite is called 'Moby', simply because she was the largest at the time! Here she is below;

160905- Shubies, Sarassas, hyacinths, Berta, Barry, Bonnie  43.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just started with a pond so all very young. Moby is a very cool looking fish !!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sadly my oldest fish came to me at age 3. It's now 4 or 5. I'll try to get an updated picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6593.JPG
    IMG_6593.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 184

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My first goldfish were feeder fish. Bought 12 of them, not all survived but most did. That was 15 yrs ago and one of the biggest is about 8 to 10" long. You can see one on the left and one down by the lily pads under the light colored shubby.

IMG_5961.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
None are that old, oldest are maybe 6 years old, one is a koi and other is an orfe. The pond is only 8 years old, I have no idea on the goldfish age, guessing none are that old the largest is maybe 5-6" long. Heron comes and thins the herd out every once in awhile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just started with a pond so all very young. Moby is a very cool looking fish !!
Thanks, Nyboy; she's spawned more than a couple of my more colorful gf, and of course they're named moby jr, 1 and 2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My first goldfish were feeder fish. Bought 12 of them, not all survived but most did. That was 15 yrs ago and one of the biggest is about 8 to 10" long. You can see one on the left and one down by the lily pads under the light colored shubby.

View attachment 103924
j.w.; you seem to have the oldest---so far!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword , thanks for this thread, I love seeing pics of everyone's fish!

My oldest are 2 Shubunkin approximately 8 to10yrs old..then there's the one in my Avatar, he is 4 1/2 , along with 2 other koi bought at the same time, ...the rest of 'em are babies from last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gemma; just another excuse to convince your fish to be more photogenic! I read somewhere that the oldest gf made it to 43, so I guess mine have a way to go yet. It's interesting to see how long some have had their particular fish as well as see new updated pics of them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
IMG_1743.JPG
Built the pond in 2013. Goldfish range from several months to 4 years old. Just added the koi in July . Until this year they fed only on what the pond offered. The biggest gf is around 7 inches. I started feeding when I added the koi . I'm curious to see how the younger gf grow compared to the original gf

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
if you take good care of them and expand the pond to suit their growing needs, koi can outlive their owner, and that's why Koi are commonly mentioned in a Will. Goldfish can live to about 20 years, after that they start looking old, but my 25 year old two biggest koi look awesome still.

Ask a Question