How privileged are you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I came across this non scientific questionnaire today:

• Your family income – or your parents’ family income, if you’re young – is $120,000 a year or more. (That’s the approximate cutoff point for the upper one-fifth of earners.)
  • You grew up in a stable, two-parent household. (Children who grow up in stable families do much better than children in lone-parent or divorced families.)
  • Your mother graduated from university. (Maternal education is an important predictor of children’s educational attainment.)
  • Your folks took you to the museum/theatre when you were a kid.
  • Your family helped/will help you with a down payment on a house (or you helped your kids.)
  • You’ve been to Europe more than once.
  • You graduated from a good university. (Bonus point for each graduate degree.)
  • Most of your high-school friends went to good universities.
  • If there are two forks in a place setting, you know which one to use first.
  • You got an internship through family connections (or helped somebody else get one).
  • You can paddle a canoe.
  • You Tweet, or know people who do. (Tweeting is considered an elite activity.)
It made me think about the advantage and opportunities available to people that can answer yes to most of these questions.
Also, for people that can answer yes to most must also have some pretty lofty expectations placed upon them.

I answered yes to 3 of the points presented.

I keep these kind of things in mind whenever I think of the overall turmoil we see and read about these days.
This list comes from a journalist in a national newspaper here in Canada.
Interesting.

Here is the article.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...u-take-this-test-to-find-out/article35826989/

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Answered yes to most. Privileged ehh..maybe, but don't see what paddling a canoe and tweeting have to do with anything. I work/own a small family marine construction business, so in a sense I am privileged, but most people can't or think they are above the type of work I do, even if there is a lot of money in it.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I can't pull up the article, goes to the site but the page won't load. Most likely my ancient ipad not cooperating, does that all the time. Have to try reading it on another one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's the Globe and Mail here in Canada. Older iPads probably won't bring it up because of Javascript.
Anyways, the message I get from it is that people with ways and means are able to get their message out to the "masses" while people without the resources cannot.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Im going to fill this out for you. Questionnaire (this is fun)
You grew up in a stable, two-parent household
No
Your family income – or your parents’ family income, if you’re young – is $120,000 a year or more
Lol I wish, so do they :) but close.
Your mother graduated from university
Nope, not in a bad way either. reasons involved.
Your folks took you to the museum/theatre when you were a kid
Yea sometimes :)
You’ve been to Europe more than once.
FUNNY. No
If there are two forks in a place setting, you know which one to use first.
Small is for salad? I think... big is for the regular food?
You can paddle a canoe.
Scared of canoe's kayaks on the other hand, all day.
You Tweet, or know people who do
Nope, and Yes, 16 have never owned a phone, refused to do so, Used to have a tv, sold it 1 week later. Don't have TV now, don't have cable, barely any internet, Basically off grid.

Very Thankful for the things I have in life and am given or provided, there are Many people who have it worse than all of us.
Even the person who is the poorest of them all has positivity.
@MitchM awesome post and comments btw.

My view on phones and tablets:
Im one of those guys who thinks "that your being watched through a camera on your phone" I know people immediately are dying right now because I said that. But its true in some instances, also you have (or regular people do) pretty personal information on your phone, I should know I used to be a hacker (#anoobhacker), people have things on there phones or tablets that they would never even share with anyone, it gets pretty deep. The people who own those things even question half the time "I didn't know that was there"
Well.
it is.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
More Related to this Story

• This was on their website..
    Lmao, "Proud boys toss around the shade in the summer OF WHITE MALE GRIEVANCE"
    im taking it this is one of those, its all white peoples fault, website.
just looked into the website some more, https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/the-original-sin-of-white-privilege/article35124053/ Where is the "sin of black privilege, sin of Islamic privilege?" No wonder they don't allow comments on their articles. If you read the article its apparent that the teacher is teaching the class (in the 11th grade) about how: (I quote from the article) "whiteness itself is a problem"

@MitchM I love the one you posted but the other articles suck LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I answered yes to 3 as well. Stable two parent home, graduated from a university (good or not?) and have friends who did as well. My two dearest friends, however, did not go to college.
I consider myself very lucky. I don't think I would use the term privileged -- but certainly blessed and lucky to have health and love and happiness.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't know where the media is headed these days. It seems like it's a race to the bottom.
Daily Mail, National Inquirer, New York Post, etc.
Paparazzi with their zoom lenses, news stories about TV shows (reality tv), comment sections being overrun by psychopaths and sock puppets.
Sock puppet https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)
Then you have elites writing articles about themselves or people like themselves.
Our stock markets have algorithms that react to headlines that are written by some of these "writers".
I'm just not sure what to follow these days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Answered yes to 6 but in no way feel " privileged". Some days I feel lucky to call myself middle class. I live in one of the wealthiest parts of the country. lot depends on where you live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads