How should I make my pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello.

How many gallons, how deep, etc...?

What type of Filter should I use?

Do I need a centipede and snorkel and if so, can you build from home depot parts?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How do you want your pond? It’s a very broad question. First off, what do you want to do with it? Do you want a small thing with no fish, just plants and what ever nature sends? Or do you want 5 koi? That’s a difference of 4900 gallons. What kind of pond do you want? Take a look through various pond build and photo show cases, see what you like the look of. Then post pictures of the area you have to work with, and what you want from your pond. We strongly recommend you build as big as possible, a larger volume of water is more stable than a small one. However, we also stress quality over quantity, in that you buy a good liner, dig your pond to the correct depth for your area, and spend the money on a good pump and filter, even if we recommend the bog filter, it still costs fir the pump, liner, rock etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1611160323688.gif
@miogpsrocks
All depends on what you want. Do you want it big w/lots of fish or just a little one to take care of.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but boy, is that a vague question.

First of all....why do you want a pond? What kind of pond do you want? Maybe you need to do a little more research, give us a little more information to go on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello.

How many gallons, how deep, etc...?

What type of Filter should I use?

Do I need a centipede and snorkel and if so, can you build from home depot parts?

Thanks.
with your own hands, getting them dirty
alternate answer; with a backhoe.

4k gallons is a sweet spot

only one 'almost maintenance free' kind; a bog (upflow wetland filter, actually)

No, you don't need them but they do help; or, you could use various sizes of rock, 4" + 12" drain pipe and do a bog that way.

No, Home depot doesn't have much re pond stuff other than plumbing. I'd stay away from any preform ponds and put in a liner pond.

Anything else we can help you with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There are many ways to build a pond. Simple answer is dig the hole, water proof it, add a pump that will move the water volume 1 1/2 times per hour through what ever filter you have ( slower if it’s a bog), set up your plumbing, fill, treat the water with de chlorinater, if on city water. Fish and plants are optional, but bring balence to the ecosystem you’ve made. Keep in mind, goldfish need about 60 gallons each, breed readily, have lots of babies if given the opportunity. Fancy goldfish that stay smaller don’t need as much water, 20-30 gallons each, but are slow swimmers, so easy prey for things like cats, raccoons, birds of prey, and so on. Smaller ponds need smaller fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@miogpsrocks Just curious, but why did you specifically ask about a centipede and snorkel, if you know so little about ponds in the first place? If I didn’t know better, I would suspect that you are a bot. Centipedes and snorkels aren’t usually the first pieces of equipment that pop up when discussing a new pond build, as they have a very specific use. Not trying to be mean — just curious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Then post pictures of the area you have to work with, a
Just throwing out a number to build a pond with rock and to include a snorkel and centipede bog with aquablocks with a good size pond doing it yourself your probably looking at $10,000 to start.
Like was asked post pics where your thinking of building.
Go to youtube and watch videos from team Aquascape , Atlantis Water Garden, Modern Design Aquascaping to start and see wat is possible and what you like. what you would like to see in your back yard.
I also just added several videos on both skimmers, negative edge, a intake bays and wetland filters found here it's a good start to planning a build. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/page-47

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@miogpsrocks Just curious, but why did you specifically ask about a centipede and snorkel, if you know so little about ponds in the first place? If I didn’t know better, I would suspect that you are a bot. Centipedes and snorkels aren’t usually the first pieces of equipment that pop up when discussing a new pond build, as they have a very specific use. Not trying to be mean — just curious.
i am getting a troll feel off this guy.

Ask a Question