How the heck do y u cut underlayment :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had such a time cutting some small pieces of underlayment to put under some rough rocks on a few shelves. I used a razor knife, scissors etc. Nothing is cutting it. HELP hah.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You have to say a lot of bad words. The good news is that as hard as it is to cut -- it's that hard for a sharp rock to go through. So you have some good quality stuff there! I just used scissors, patience, and bad language. :p

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to sharpen my scissors over and over again while cutting it and I had bought good scissors .I even broke them and funny thing is I had dollar store scissors and they did a better job cutting it .But was hard on the fingers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used a really good quality utility knife. Not the cheap box cutter variety - the heavy duty ones that you can refill. And my son discovered my pinking shears worked great on EPDM - there went my good shears!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used the scissors made to cut carpeting. Worked great and they are big and handles are rubberized so didn't hurt the hands much. Also helps to have someone pull it tight while cutting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You have to say a lot of bad words. The good news is that as hard as it is to cut -- it's that hard for a sharp rock to go through. So you have some good quality stuff there! I just used scissors, patience, and bad language. :p
smlaughing4.gif
smlaughing4.gif
smlaughing4.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Get yourself a pair of EMT shears. You can get these at a drug store. They are basically a scissors that has a slight serrated edge. Great for cutting lots of stuff. You can cut a coin in half if you want or rip through cloth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Get yourself a pair of EMT shears. You can get these at a drug store. They are basically a scissors that has a slight serrated edge. Great for cutting lots of stuff. You can cut a coin in half if you want or rip through cloth.
Outstanding suggestion, love it! I happened to have a pair of brand new 12" scissors designed to cut carbon fiber and fiberglass on hand when I cut my liner https://tinyurl.com/yd6ekg33 They are amazing and they made the job a piece of cake but cost $70. The EMT shears are a brilliant affordable suggestion!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
regardless what sheers or Utility knife you use have someone pull the fabric out if front of you keep it taunt. and it is a lot easier to cut with all the above mentioned methods

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Ask a Question