How to attract dragonflies to your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may be a silly question but I would like to attract dragonflies to my pond. My pond is a small one and it's about 4 months old now, haven't seen a dragonfly around here:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have not shown up yet. They like grass, stick like items around to land on near/in the water, dragonfly perches

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting. may be it's the netting:)
Is your netting right on the water? I have wide weave netting over my pond around 3 feet up. The dragon flies land on it all of the time, but they can fly down and hit the water which they like to do. And the net does not trap them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Addy,

remember my other thread? I don't have netting installed yet.

Is your netting right on the water? I have wide weave netting over my pond around 3 feet up. The dragon flies land on it all of the time, but they can fly down and hit the water which they like to do. And the net does not trap them.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can understand why you want them,my pond gets dozen at a time and it's a beautiful sight. Lots of brushy cover around the edges seems to be the key. I'm hoping it wasn't my huge lily mat that they liked because it's gone now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi smaug, i don't have plants along the edging, may be that's one of the reasons. I have narrow edgings around the pond.

I can understand why you want them,my pond gets dozen at a time and it's a beautiful sight. Lots of brushy cover around the edges seems to be the key. I'm hoping it wasn't my huge lily mat that they liked because it's gone now.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
They definitely like a more natural setting. From 30 ft away at ground level my pond can't even be seen. Not tiny either at 15 ft by 13ft. (Memory)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I didn't get dragonflies until the pond was 8 years old. I do net my pond and they will get under the net from the waterfall side and then I have to raise the net to let them out sometimes. Last year I had holes in the net for the plants to grow through and the dragonflies were able to use those holes. They seem to like to land on something close to the water - they land on my iris leaves or even the stakes for my fishing line around the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I guess I got lucky, they showed up as soon as water was running through the two small ponds and the stream that connects them, just bare liner and sandy soil at that point. From their actions, I suspect they were hunting small flying insects (mostly mosquitoes) attracted by the water. Moral of the story, encourage lots of mosquitoes and the dragonflies will come!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
LOL, I want the dragonflies but I sure don't want to encourage lots of mosquitoes:ROFLMAO: I guess I have to give up on the dragonflies then.
Dragonflies (and Damselflies) feed on a lot more than 'skeeters'. As larvae they feed on other aquatic insect larvae, mosquito larvae, tadpoles and very small fish (fry). As adults their diet doesn't change much, they will dine on other flying insects including each other. They are especially attracted to ponds that have water lilies or other floating leaf plants. It is on the underside of these leaves that the female will deposit her eggs. The second choice location is the submerged portion of emergent plants such as reeds, grasses, sedges, Iris, etc.

Ask a Question