How to block high winds and dirt ?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Anyone know of a good tarp or other material that I can use to block the wind and dirt ??

Looking for a tarp that I can quickly throw over and tie down. Ya can see what my water feature looks like in my garden pond forum introduction thread. I was going to use the tall rock in the middle as my center column piece that holds the tarp up a little, keeping a slope for the tarp.

Y'all always have good ideas so figure I would ask in case y'all know of something better that I could do. Meanwhile, I found a dust, wind, shade tarp canopy that I hope will work where I was think'n of two of them and staking them down, and I am still looking for anything better.

I was thinking of using my winter solar cover, but I am concerned this will heat my water up too much. We are already getting low-90 to 100 F degree weather and my water is already reaching just 72 F degrees at the hottest time of day since our mornings are still a little cool hovering around 60 F degrees.

------------------------------------------------------------

Quick backstory.

My area, in the Spring, can get 3~5 day long periods of just 30~45mph wind, gusting 60mph, blowing all day long and all night long and I am being quite literal when I say it is 24/7.

Grrr, everything was awesome, my pond got cycled and plants in. BAM!! Wind has thrashed my marginal, bog plants and, so far, has dump about a half inch of dirt. Also, my little small 9 foot x 9 foot, 14 inch deep water feature just got filled up with all sorts of blowing weeds and dead grasses. As I mentioned, my marginals all got blown off their shallow shelf and the others just got their leaves thrashed.

Today is supposed to be the last day for the wind until the next week or so.

I was hoping, due to my laziness, that the wind would not dump too much dirt and trash; turns out my laziness got the best of me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We bought something similar to shade our deck, it is some tough material. It will last a lot longer than a tarp, like the ones from hd or lowes

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like it will let water through, does it?

Yes ours does, also the wind makes it through. It is a fine weave. We have it on the west side of the house, the wind howls there. It slows the wind down, but does not get ripped up in the process.

Ask a Question