How to breed my koi

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
I have one make male and one female.but the problem is that the female is double the length then the male (almost double) so how should I breed them?never tried it before....

Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
All you can do is put them together in the pond . When the time ,water temp & moon are right they will go at it during the morning hours .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. When they decide they're ready, there's not a whole lot of stopping them. And relative size means nothing - large, medium, or small... they don't care.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi did not start breeding until they were around 5 years old .I guess they were not interested before that or they ate the eggs .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do everything I can to stop mine, as I don't want a population explosion. They don't listen to me......hence my having to catch and rehome babies at the end of every summer :)
Same here!

Reaction score
Country
just a question.the frogs or tadpoles or water snakes will eat the eggs...no?so should I put them into another place?or....?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Tha is just population control .If every egg became a baby fish it would be wall to wall fish .They lay lots of eggs .

Reaction score
Country
I get it then.how much do you think these ones can give? They are really small,about a foot or smaller.
20170806_083147.jpg
20170806_083148.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
just a question.the frogs or tadpoles or water snakes will eat the eggs...no

Lots of the eggs will get eaten, yes - even by the very fish that created them. But that's OK - nature doesn't intend for every egg to live or you'd have a population explosion. Unless you plan to become a professional fish breeder, I would let nature take it's course.

I will mention this - with no plants growing in your pond, you will likely never have babies survive. The best chance is for those that can hatch and take cover in plant roots or foliage in the water.

Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in breeding your fish?

Reaction score
Country
I had around 10fish before.
They all died and I don't want them to die again.so I want to breed them to get little bit more ....when I had too many fish like once I had,I moved them ,I sell them,I can do many things to the extra fish.but once they all die..then I don't have any more.now I only have three..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, breeding them isn't a guarantee that they won't all die - and in fact, having too many fish in your pond may lead to exactly that result. Remind me - how big is your pond again?

Ask a Question