How to Build a Garden Fence to Keep Animals Out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
you love spending time in your garden. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of being surrounded by plants and flowers, and hearing the birds sing. However, if you live in an area that is populated by wild animals, it can be difficult to keep them out of your garden. A garden fence is a great way to solve this problem.
If you’re a gardener, you know that one of the most frustrating things is putting all of your time and effort into growing and nurturing your plants only to have them destroyed by foraging animals. Not only is it annoying, but it can also be costly to have to constantly replace your plants or vegetables.

Deer, rabbits, and other small mammals can destroy a garden in no time flat. Not only will they eat your plants, but they’ll also trample them as they run through. This can leave your once-lush garden looking like a war zone.
In addition to eating and trampling plants, animals can also carry diseases that can harm your plants. For example, deer are known to carry Lyme disease, which they can spread to humans through tick bites. To protect yourself and your family from these dangers, it’s important to build a fence around your garden.

Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to deter animals from entering your garden in the first place. One of those steps is erecting a fence.

But not just any old fence will do – it has to be properly built in order to be effective at keeping animals out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1670714976317.gif
@Jamesgarner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here One of the most important things to keep in mind when you’re building a fence to keep animals out is that the fence needs to be big enough to actually do its job. That means, if you’re trying to keep deer out, your fence will need to be tall enough to discourage them from jumping over it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Of all your GIFS that one is cute @j.w+++65++++6

if you’re trying to keep deer out, your fence will need to be tall enough to discourage them from jumping over it.
That unfortunately is 8 feet tall . deer can bounce over a 6 foot fence like it was a cobble stone

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The black plastic type Deer fencing works pretty decent, I had it maybe 5ish feet tall. They can not see it well, bump with nose, it startles them and they don't try to go over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The black plastic type Deer fencing works pretty decent, I had it maybe 5ish feet tall. They can not see it well, bump with nose, it startles them and they don't try to go over.
Ha ha! My deer are not that easily spooked! We have 5' black mesh deer fencing running through the woods for the dogs. Keeps them in, the deer just hop back & forth over it like nothing. That's why we had to resort to the electric fence last year right around the yard & pond. Now THAT stops them!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine might work better since it encloses a more narrow area, about 10 feet wide. They might think they don't have enough jump room.

I have removed all fencing. The deer resistant plants have taken over. The rest of the stuff I share with the deer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We have the low wire fences around some plants. That alone will not keep much out, but then we cover it all with that inexpensive nylon netting. You know... the kind we put over our ponds to keep the leaves out in the Fall. The same stuff people use to keep birds from their fruit trees.
Its inexpensive, almost invisible and deer cannot get through it. Even bunnies can't get through it as long as you secure it to the wire fence all the way to the ground.
You don't even notice it from a few feet away.

Vegetable gardens can be a challenge protecting them from moles and voles who burrow underground. Those critters can literally pull your vegetable plants down under the ground, just like in the cartoons!
I try to create a barrier of wire mesh (hardware cloth) around the perimeter as deep as I can to possibly help keep them from burrowing into the garden area.

I think I'm going to start growing my vegetables in pots or buckets on my deck next year. There's more sun there and it will prevent critters and slugs from eating them.
Speaking of slugs, we get an awful lot of them after it rains. We used to place shallow containers and lids around with beer in them which would kill them. Now we use a granulated slug preventative called Slug-go. That stuff works great and it won't harm people, pets, vegetables or critters.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We gave up trying to grow veggies in our yard. Every critter there is so now planter boxes on the deck and a 150gallon stock tank that is fenced in out in the yard. The squirrels don't even like to climb up on the deck! 14' up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have the low wire fences around some plants. That alone will not keep much out, but then we cover it all with that inexpensive nylon netting. You know... the kind we put over our ponds to keep the leaves out in the Fall. The same stuff people use to keep birds from their fruit trees.
Its inexpensive, almost invisible and deer cannot get through it. Even bunnies can't get through it as long as you secure it to the wire fence all the way to the ground.
You don't even notice it from a few feet away.

Vegetable gardens can be a challenge protecting them from moles and voles who burrow underground. Those critters can literally pull your vegetable plants down under the ground, just like in the cartoons!
I try to create a barrier of wire mesh (hardware cloth) around the perimeter as deep as I can to possibly help keep them from burrowing into the garden area.

I think I'm going to start growing my vegetables in pots or buckets on my deck next year. There's more sun there and it will prevent critters and slugs from eating them.
Speaking of slugs, we get an awful lot of them after it rains. We used to place shallow containers and lids around with beer in them which would kill them. Now we use a granulated slug preventative called Slug-go. That stuff works great and it won't harm people, pets, vegetables or critters.
SlugGo is good stuff! I used to use that when I lived in IL. Here in NC, the slugs are the least of my worries (although, they do hit epic proportions of size! I've measured a slug fully 6" long before!)

I do my (limited) veggies & herbs in containers on my deck. Partially because it's easier to control pests, but mainly because my 'yard/garden' area is about 30' + downhill from my house. Walking out onto the deck, 6' from the kitchen, to pick a tomato or pepper is something I'll do. Having to wander WAY out to the yard for the same thing? Probably not going to happen. I'm a lazy gardener & also a lazy cook. Shrug....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why do you think I have all deer resistant, bee friendly, weed type flowers in the yard? Grooming time, BUSH HOG, cut down, they regrow all by themselves. I am beyond lazy garderner and lazy ponder!

Ask a Question