How to build a [temporary] insulated “surround” for stock tank?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I need to build an insulated, plywood “surrround” for a 110 gallon stock tank. My construction skills and knowledge are limited. I don’t have a clue as to how to construct this. Can you help?

The stock tank will be under a covered porch, so won’t get wet. The “surround” only needs to get me through this winter, so doesn’t need to be super fancy or complicated.

Back story: this is going to be a temporary “holding tank” for my box turtles. We’re moving, but there isn’t time to get a new outdoor habitat ready for them before next spring, so I’m fixing a peat & soil filled stock tank up for them. I want to make a plywood frame to go around the stock tank, with a layer of insulation.

5FAB268F-DD50-404F-8A5C-945F46F27440.jpeg

This is the stock tank. The dimensions are 20” x 56” x 36”,or thereabouts.
2E63D329-B2FE-4BAE-9D94-A229F859E522.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know that I would even bother with the plywood - unless you're looking for something a bit more finished looking for your front porch - just wrap it with some insulated batting and call it a day. Maybe add a few of those "foil" blankets you use for warming to keep the whole thing dry (in case of wind driven rain) and looking very space agey!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 You are so right that I don’t have use plywood, etc. All I need is to add the insulation in a quick, easy, cheap way — like wrapping it up — good idea! The tank will be on a covered back porch and shouldn’t get wet at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could even use bales of hay if you want something that would be useful later. We spread hay in our bigger garden beds as walking paths and use it to cover the grass when it gets too muddy in the spring for the dogs.The grass grows right up through it and we don't have to deal with muddy paws in the house. Some people even do hay bale gardens - plant things right into an aged bale of hay. You can always find a good use for an old bale of hay!

(The only caveat - these do sometimes attract little furry rodents looking for nesting space. But if it's not right up against the house, it's really not a concern.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a very simple box you can create is to use ridged insulation at least 3/4 or 1" 2 would be easier to use but a little harder to cut , Use construction adhesive using a caulking gun. 4 sheets and you could enclose the little guy. i'd use a 4x8 sheet on the bottom 2 foot tall x 8 foot long on the side. a 4x8 sheet for the top and you close up the ends with the last sheet. use duct tape to hold the pieces together while you are trying to glue them together. Use duct tape as a hinge to a hole you cut in the top for access to them. If you want to really want to insulate them like Lisa said use some hay between the box and the temp home. throw a light bulb or a heated rock in there and they would stay comfy all winter .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Insulation bats with twine around to hold it on then go to Costco and get a roll of the cling wrap and go around it to keep the fibers from getting wet, into the tank or wearing the itchy stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could try getting a cardboard or a plastic box a little bigger than your stock tank. Put the stock tank in the box then get a tube of insulation from the hardware store and squeeze it between the box and the stock tank. You can trim excess insulation after it dries. Squeeze a layer of insulation on the bottom before you put the stock tank in the box. If you want something more sturdy you could use an old chest of drawers, just remove the drawers and lay chest on its back put in stock tank and insulation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can wrap it with insulating bubble wrap .I used to do that in NJ to protect my concrete planters by the driveway .

Ask a Question