HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT AIR PUMP

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As usual, the choices are too numerous and confusing, and I want to be an informed consumer. So need some help: what are some factors to consider when choosing the best pump for pond aeration? What makes a pump good (or bad)? What "facts" are just sales pitches, and what information is sound?

All I know at this point is that I want something that is quiet and energy efficient, can be used outdoors, low maintenance, and in the low-to-mid price range. My pond is approx. 3000 gal with a max depth of 4'; goldfish only (light to medium stock level); currently running a Skippy filter, but soon to be converting to a bog. Not having problems, but just want to add air.

And another question: I'm confused when the ad is for a pond air pump, but the info says to "keep the pump indoors." Huh? Do they literally mean that, or do they mean to keep it in a covered and/or protected place? We don't really have anywhere close to the pond where we could house an air pump, so hoping they just mean like keep it under a fake rock, or something.....?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I use mine I keep it in an old styrofoam cooler with a hole cut for the cord and air line and a hole cut in the bottom for air flow. Haven't tried it in the winter but may start it up this week when the ponds thaw out. There may be some that have to be kept above freezing-

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is just sitting outside, under a plastic tote. I did put some pipe insulation around the tubing coming out of it, the warm hot air could start to cause moisture which could freeze up. No issues.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think mine is a pond master, I am on my second one in 9 years and have been satisfied. I leave mine in my pumphouse, it is the size of a dog house, never had any problems.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine is a pondmaster ap100, works great and very quiet, on its third year

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The PondMaster pumps were some I was looking at. How do you know what size you need?

I notice in some reviews (all pumps, not just the PM), they talk about using a manifold to split & distribute the air. Assuming that the process of "splitting" air is similar to that of "splitting" off water from a pump, how do you calculate pump size based on how many diffusers [or whatever] you'll be using? And does the length [distance?] of tubing matter?

I like the idea of the styrofoam container. Guessing I could have fun disguising one :)

Also, noticing that most of the pumps only have a 6' electric cord. That doesn't seem very long for outdoor use -- fine if you're using it indoors, parked next to an aquarium. How far away from the pond do you have your air supply?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember when you buy one always order an extra bladder as it is better to have it on hand .I bought 2 with the one I bought since it has a split system

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Remember when you buy one always order an extra bladder as it is better to have it on hand .I bought 2 with the one I bought since it has a split system

Do all pumps have bladders? Is this same as a diaphragm? Good advice, though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep same thing really they produce the air .They are just like a balloon blow up and when you let go air comes back out .They dry out and crack over time from heat and cold .Best thing I could think of to explain how they work .There are lots of you tube video's on how they work

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you really have to look at cfm and depth they will push air and even cost to operate .I went to Graham NC because I really wanted to see in person how it works and what size to get and it had a 2 year warranty .There are so many things to consider like parts to fix it and how easy they are to get and how easy they are to replace and the parts .I tried mine out but decided to wait until spring to really get it going .I want to put a hose in each filter and one in each end of the pond .The pond master is great and have seen them working but the cost was kind of high for me and since I got one just before this one that did not live up to what it was said to be ,oh well could not talk hubby into putting out more money .I try to keep my budget for my pond down and wanted the bigger filter tanks so something had to be cut .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a Pondmaster AP40 and it works great like a volcano in my 2500 gal pond 3&1/2 ft deep. I need to still get some air stones to tone it down in Summer a bit. I don't use it in winter as think it would disrupt the water too much.

IMG_4062 (Large).JPG

Reaction score
I like the dog house idea for the pump... mine was outside in a box but still stopped when temps dropped. I brought it inside with a system of air pipes from the basement, but... they broke... i guess I'll try to protect the pump better and put it back outside

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, JW, that's a lot of air, there!! Seems like that would churn my entire pond surface. :)

Kind of thinking (and wondering) of running air stones underneath the false-bottom of the turtle pond section. The area on top is my turtle-bogs, which is gravel & plants, supported by PVC pipe with a floor made of vinyl trellis & plastic craft mesh. So, basically, there is flow-through for water & air. Reason for wanting to add air there is that it's probably a "dead zone" up underneath (despite the water flow from the "bog") and the fish like to go there to hide. I have a slope built into the pond floor under the false-bottom to keep crud from collecting on the bottom.

Just curious. No idea how it would work. Would the air percolate up through the "bog" above, and would that help the overall water quality via the mini-bogs? Would adding air in an "enclosed" spot just cause a bunch of bubbles to collect on the underside of the "false floor"? And would that be a good thing??

Ask a Question